Freezing toasted nuts
Posted: 28 October 2011 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

I often purchase nuts for baking in bulk, (~900g/2lbs), freeze them in airtight containers, and then toast only the amount required for a specific recipe. Since just about all of the recipes I use call for toasted nuts, I’ve been tempted to toast the entire amount and then freeze. Do you think there would be any loss in flavour or detrimental change in texture by doing this?

Posted: 30 October 2011 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Sophia, I am guessing few have personal experience with this…but my google search results suggests you can do this.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 30 October 2011 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I agree that it shouldn’t be a problem.  At first I wasn’t sure—I freeze raw nuts all the time, but not roasted.  But then it occurred to me that I’ve frozen many a cake encrusted with roasted nuts, and they thawed perfectly.  So I’d say roast-and-freeze is fine!

Posted: 31 October 2011 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

CRenee, I did some research before posting here and came across the same sort of information. Some sources did say, though, that you should not do this but offered no explanation. I went ahead and toasted my pecans. Filberts, with their pesky skins, are next.

Anne, I hadn’t thought of it in this way before, but I also frequently freeze baked goods with toasted nuts without any significant change in the quality of the nuts. I’m reassured now that this will work.

Thanks for the help.