Sculpted horse cake for birthday—White Velvet with Milk Chocolate Buttercream.
Posted: 28 October 2011 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

I was GOING to use Rose’s chocolate fondant recipe, but the birthday girl asked for a brown/tan horse and I thought her fondant would be too dark.  I ended up just using a marshmallow chocolate fondant, and then regular marshmallow fondant for the rest of the cake.  I used goldleaf for the belt.

Hope it tastes good!

Image Attachments
023_small.jpg

Posted: 28 October 2011 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow, Doux, that’s really impressive!  The eye is amazing! Was she totally thrilled?????

Posted: 28 October 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

Thanks Anne! She hasn’t seen it yet- her party is tomorrow—but I emailed the picture to her parents and they’re very happy!  Can’t wait to hear how she reacts, lol.

Oh, and the eyeball is a malt ball!

Posted: 28 October 2011 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

Your cake looks so real I can’t help thinking what the offer was you couldn’t refuse. Doux, it is a fantastic!!

Posted: 28 October 2011 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

That is beautiful!!

I love her chocolate fondant.. and it tastes good to! I usually mix it with a little regular/white fondant to tone the color down when needed… your cake is amazing!!

Posted: 28 October 2011 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-09-24

Wow! Incredible!

Posted: 28 October 2011 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

That is very impressive.  How many malt balls did you eat before and after?  So this is a carved cake?  WOW!!!  Where did you ge the gold leaf?  Is that the crinkly paper like stuff or something else?  Oh and is that lettering fondant?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 28 October 2011 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06
Sarahmdr - 29 October 2011 01:19 AM

That is beautiful!!

I love her chocolate fondant.. and it tastes good to! I usually mix it with a little regular/white fondant to tone the color down when needed… your cake is amazing!!

Thanks Sarah! I didn’t even think of that… argh. I’ll try it on my next go-around.  The chocolate marshmallow fondant recipe I used tasted pretty good, but I added twice the amount of chocolate and it still wasn’t as chocolatey as I would have liked. 

CRenee - 29 October 2011 02:22 AM

That is very impressive.  How many malt balls did you eat before and after?  So this is a carved cake?  WOW!!!  Where did you ge the gold leaf?  Is that the crinkly paper like stuff or something else?  Oh and is that lettering fondant?

LOL I didn’t have ANY suprisingly! I happened to have 3 random malt balls that my husband never ate in my chocolate cooking/decorating stash, so I was too scared to eat one because I wanted to make sure I had backups in case something bad happened. 

It’s a carved 2 layer cake.  I constantly use goldleaf for a cake I sell frequently.  I used leaves, but it only likes to stick to fondant, and I can’t get petals or dust off of it.  I have another stash of powder and gold leaf petals that I bought at Sur la Table when it was on sale.  They even make silver leaf smile

I’m not sure what lettering fondant is? I just rolled out the extra purple fondant I had for the bow, and made little letters with it.

Posted: 29 October 2011 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24
DouxHouse - 29 October 2011 02:57 AM
Sarahmdr - 29 October 2011 01:19 AM

That is beautiful!!

Thanks Sarah! I didn’t even think of that… argh. I’ll try it on my next go-around.  The chocolate marshmallow fondant recipe I used tasted pretty good, but I added twice the amount of chocolate and it still wasn’t as chocolatey as I would have liked. 

CRenee - 29 October 2011 02:22 AM

LOL I didn’t have ANY suprisingly! I happened to have 3 random malt balls that my husband never ate in my chocolate cooking/decorating stash, so I was too scared to eat one because I wanted to make sure I had backups in case something bad happened. 

It’s a carved 2 layer cake.  I constantly use goldleaf for a cake I sell frequently.  I used leaves, but it only likes to stick to fondant, and I can’t get petals or dust off of it.  I have another stash of powder and gold leaf petals that I bought at Sur la Table when it was on sale.  They even make silver leaf smile

I’m not sure what lettering fondant is? I just rolled out the extra purple fondant I had for the bow, and made little letters with it.

great thank you.  that is what I meant: the letters are fondant - looks nicer than cutting them out cutters

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 29 October 2011 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-07-30

This cake is AMAZING! I love everything about it! smile

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/FantasyCakesByCassy

Posted: 29 October 2011 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Amazing work, she will adore that cake! Flour Girl’s comment just about made me snort my drink up my nose though! LOL!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 30 October 2011 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Wow! That is really impressive! The birthday girl will just love it!

Posted: 30 October 2011 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I can?t help thinking what the offer was you couldn?t refuse.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!  I though thte same thing!  Also because it looks so real!!!!

Posted: 09 November 2011 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

That cake looks excellent!