Has anyone tried the Pumpkin Cake with Burnt Orange Silk Meringue Buttercream?
Posted: 01 November 2011 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

I’ve done just about all the searching I can do on this forum, but have turned up only one or two postings about this cake.  Has anyone tried it? Thoughts about it?  I need to make a cake for a church function that’s celebrating the end of their pumpkin patch sales.  I thought it was appropriate, but I don’t want to spend the money on the pan if there’s a better cake to be made smile

Thanks for any input!

Posted: 02 November 2011 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24

I imagine all of the Heavenly Cake Bakers who have finished….

Here is one:

http://heavenlycakeplace.blogspot.com/2009/10/pumpkin-cake-with-burnt-orange-silk.html

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 02 November 2011 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve made both both components, only not together.  I thought each was fantastic!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 02 November 2011 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2011-10-15

I’ve made this cake (in a regular bundt pan) with this buttercream and the combination is fabulous.

Posted: 03 November 2011 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

Thank you SO much! I bought the pan and now have no hesitation in making it. I appreciate you all!!

Posted: 11 October 2014 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2014-10-11

I made this two weeks ago and thought I’d share the finished photo (which will be posted later as it’s not letting me do it now—file too large). The cake was light and fluffy, and had a delightful pumpkin flavor. Nicely spiced, but not overly spiced…and the spices definitely tasted like there were more included than just cinnamon and nutmeg. Very easy and quick to assemble and bake.

The frosting was quite complex. Each element (creme anglaise, Italian meringue)  came together relatively easily on their own, but they did take time. Temperature for the final product the Burnt Orange Silk Meringue Buttercream is critical. When spreading it on the cake, there were places were it glided on like silk and other places were it was slightly grainy. My first try at marzipan and it was ok…definitely need more practice.

An adorable presentation. It didn’t look too amateur-ish but it wasn’t overly professional either. Lots of “wows” for this cake…both looks and flavor. People thought the buttercream flavor was amazing. It complemented the cake perfectly and it almost seemed like it become more orange-y with time.

I will try to post a photo—it’s not letting me post what I have as the size is too big.

Posted: 11 October 2014 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1617
Joined  2011-02-17

This forum usually doesn’t allow large pics. There are image resizers on the web which you can use to shrink your pic.

I made this cake too and loved it.

I hope you are able to post your pic.

Posted: 12 October 2014 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-10-11

Thanks, Flour Girl. I actually emailed it to myself in a smaller size for now…I’ll figure out the web tools when I have more time. This cake is a real showstopper!

Any hints on working with marzipan would be appreciated. It seemed to crack a bit when I tried to make it thinner for the leaves and stem. Perhaps the kitchen was too cold?

Image Attachments
image.jpg

Posted: 12 October 2014 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Pastry Chef, That is amazing! Your cake looks like a real pumpkin! What a great job you did!

I’m glad you were able to post the pic.

Welcome to our community.

Posted: 13 October 2014 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2014-10-11
Flour Girl - 12 October 2014 11:04 AM

Pastry Chef, That is amazing! Your cake looks like a real pumpkin! What a great job you did!

I’m glad you were able to post the pic.

Welcome to our community.

Thank you SO much!

Posted: 13 October 2014 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

You are most welcome