1 of 2
smaller Featherbed ?
Posted: 01 November 2011 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Okay,  I have three challenges:  1) I really want to make the Chocolate Featherbed 2) I have no 1” deep sheet pan 3) I need to reduce to a smaller size and am not sure how (especially given one)

Re: 1) I have determined I am making it because I want it so badly;
Re: 2) none of my rectangular sheet-like pans are as deep as 1”, the deepest one is nearly 1” and only about 15 x 11.  Should I risk this pan? I see Hector used 1” deep mini heart shaped pans.  I am thinking I should not use a deeper rectangular pan.  How about a round removable bottom pan (I have only one) that is 11”? 
Re: 3) I typically know how to scale down for Rose’s recipes, but am afraid of not scaling this one properly.  I need to make a smaller size because I live alone and could have too much cake in the house depending on when I finish it. 

I am leaning toward the 11” round removable pan because it is at least 1” deep.  Do I need to make two layers or can I risk cutting it?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 02 November 2011 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

CRenee,

1) I completely understand your desire to make this. The cake, filled with the whipped ganache, is deliciously, meltingly, chocolaty; it’s light in texture but intense in flavour. It’s less rich, but equally delicious, with the whipped cream filling.

2) The sheet pan I used was less than 1” deep and closer in dimensions to your 15x11 pan than the recommended size. The cake baked up fine though it did take 17 min (instead of 16). My finished layer looked to be the same height as those in the photos….if it was taller, it would have been by a negligible amount.

3) One batch of batter baked in your sheet pan will give you a cake that is half the size of the original, but without baking powder as an ingredient, I think you can scale this recipe down as far as you need to.

CRenee - 02 November 2011 02:47 AM

I am leaning toward the 11” round removable pan because it is at least 1” deep.  Do I need to make two layers or can I risk cutting it?

No need to make 2 layers - there’s no problem in cutting the baked cake layer as long as it’s well chilled and still on parchment. (It’s actually required for composing the cake). I would also recommend cutting the finished cake while chilled as it’s very delicate.

Have fun!

Posted: 02 November 2011 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Agreed! The original cake is baked in two half-sheet pans, and then each layer is cut in half for 4 rectangular layers.

You should be able to cut your round cake into four stackable wedges with no problem! (Or make two round pans for a 4-layer half-circle shape.)

Posted: 02 November 2011 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Sophia, those details are very useful.  And, Anne thank you for drawing the picture even more for me.

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I have baked both the chocolate cloud and the cocoa souffle roulades from the Cake Bible in a pan that is 13/16” tall and 11x17.  It works perfectly, except that the thicker layer isn’t as flexible for rolling into a roulade and it’s easier to crack.  But I like eating the thicker cake layer, so every year I risk it. smile

The chocolate cloud roll is the same thing as the chocolate feather bed cake.  So, after all that, I would say risk the 11x15 pan, but trim down the recipe a bit so you don’t have the cake overflow the pan.  This cake doesn’t have any flour and is designed to bake up in a thin layer, if you try to bake it as a deeper layer it won’t have enough structure to hold itself up. 

Scaling- probably removing one egg from the recipe is convenient and about right, so multiply all the ingredients by 0.83, and use 1/8 tsp cream of tartar per egg white, so 5/8 tsp. 

To keep the cake smaller, just make one batch instead of the two called for, and cut the sheet into four rectangles.

Enjoy the light whipped ganache, it is one of my all-time favorite frostings!

If you want more help scaling exactly, post back with the volume of your sheet pan (pour water into it).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 November 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Ditto!
Double-ditto!

Posted: 02 November 2011 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 02 November 2011 03:39 PM

I have baked both the chocolate cloud and the cocoa souffle roulades from the Cake Bible in a pan that is 13/16” tall and 11x17.  It works perfectly, except that the thicker layer isn’t as flexible for rolling into a roulade and it’s easier to crack.  But I like eating the thicker cake layer, so every year I risk it. smile

The chocolate cloud roll is the same thing as the chocolate feather bed cake.  So, after all that, I would say risk the 11x15 pan, but trim down the recipe a bit so you don’t have the cake overflow the pan.  This cake doesn’t have any flour and is designed to bake up in a thin layer, if you try to bake it as a deeper layer it won’t have enough structure to hold itself up. 

Scaling- probably removing one egg from the recipe is convenient and about right, so multiply all the ingredients by 0.83, and use 1/8 tsp cream of tartar per egg white, so 5/8 tsp. 

To keep the cake smaller, just make one batch instead of the two called for, and cut the sheet into four rectangles.

If you want more help scaling exactly, post back with the volume of your sheet pan (pour water into it).

Thank you Julie, this is exactly what I was looking for…. had no idea the chocolate cloud rool was the same…. I am looking forward to this and wil probbly regret making it smaller..  grin

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2011 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 02 November 2011 03:44 PM

Ditto!
Double-ditto!

This will be a good test to determine if I want to put this ganache as a filling in another cake.

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2011 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

if I want to put this ganache as a filling in another cake.

You do.  : ) 

You want to put it in ALL your cakes!!

And the mocha version is extra fabulous!!!!!!!!

Posted: 02 November 2011 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
Anne in NC - 02 November 2011 09:21 PM

Ditto, double ditto.  It’s also wonderful with a little liqueur, like grand marnier or brandy, subbed for a little of the cream smile 

I still remember the first time I had LWG with brandy in it… oh, my!  It started a whole phase of mine where I had to make ganache of various sorts with lots of liqueurs in them.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 November 2011 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 03 November 2011 12:07 AM
Anne in NC - 02 November 2011 09:21 PM

Ditto, double ditto.  It’s also wonderful with a little liqueur, like grand marnier or brandy, subbed for a little of the cream smile 

I still remember the first time I had LWG with brandy in it… oh, my!  It started a whole phase of mine where I had to make ganache of various sorts with lots of liqueurs in them.

Oh Shucks….I saw this after I’d already made the ganache.  I will share whether this flips or flops..  Hopefully, I do not eat the ganache before I have the cake part baked smile

Signature 

Posted: 03 November 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

I also plan to make the chocolate feather bed. What brand of chocolate do you use? I cannot find G&B around my area.

Posted: 03 November 2011 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
bean2002 - 03 November 2011 03:44 PM

I also plan to make the chocolate feather bed. What brand of chocolate do you use? I cannot find G&B around my area.

I often go online for chocolate…. the grocery stores typically only have Ghiradelli and sometimes Scharrfenberger (Wegman’s and Whole Foods).  They also will have G&B sometimes.  I would like to hear what others used for this cake in particular.

Signature 

Posted: 03 November 2011 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

What brand of chocolate do you use? I cannot find G&B around my area.

For cocoa powder, I use E. Guittard Cocoa Rouge, which you can get at Sur La Table.

For chocolate, I also use E. Guittard (Sur La Table).  However, I always like to mix choclates, so I’ll also mix in some Ghiradelli, Lindt, Divine, Endangered Species, etc.  I usually use at least two and often more, depending on what’s on hand (and sometimes on sale).  I’ve heard that Trader Joe’s is also very good, but I haven’t tried it.

Scharffenbarger is also awesome, but it’s not so available here, but I agree it’s good stuff!

Posted: 03 November 2011 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

bean2002, CRenee, I used a mix of Valrhona semisweet (55%) and bittersweet (66%) for a cacao content of ~60-61% for both the cake and the ganache. I’ve made the whipped ganache for another project using Callebaut chocolate (53% semisweet & 70% bittersweet combination) and it was also delicious.

Posted: 03 November 2011 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

I will have to give this approach a try.  I have not mixed chocs before unless I was short on something.  I just finished 11 lbs of Callebaut….will not order that much again!!

Signature 

1 of 2