new project - tiered cake
Posted: 04 November 2011 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

I talked the host into a tiered cake - I think a tiered cake looks a bit more elegant and celebratory… besides not being a fan of sheet cakes.  I would rather do a 12 inch round.  I hope a 10” tier and 6” tier will be enough for 25.. I imagine so. 

This will be White Cake with Milk Chocolate Ganache.  I made the choc egg white buttercream today, should I fill it with that or the light whipped ganache?  I am still obsessing about the Milk Chocolate Ganache—hoping it will not be too chocolaty (for a person who does not want chocolate with chocolate). 

The Guest of Honor requested White Cake with Chocolate Frosting and Green Icing with a microphone and bow tie.  Not liking to write on cakes and not having as much room (with my writing especially), I am putting Happy Birthday on a gumpaste plaque.  The remaining part will be on the cake board.  The microphone is solid chocolate candy and the bow is a combo of choc modeling paste and fondant.  They will rest on a fondant covered board atop the 6”

Edit:  The writing is green candy compound.  The second phrase are individual letters from candy mold.  I only have to write Happy Birthday William.  Now the Guest requested this cake but the host still wants him surprised.  I hope I have enough surprise elements. 

Should I torte it?  Should I syrup it?

Oh and I have decided the other cake will be Golden Dream 9”.  I wanted Coconut with Lemon filling but that is another white cake. 

Here is design I have in my head.  It will be interesting to see how it actually turns out.  I hope this plan makes sense.

Image Attachments
Cake1J.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 06 November 2011 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

I love the design and can’t wait to see your actual cake! I’m a fan of torting, just because I’m a huge fan of yummy fillings!!! grin

Posted: 07 November 2011 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
CRenee - 04 November 2011 10:23 PM

Here is design I have in my head.  It will be interesting to see how it actually turns out.  I hope this plan makes sense.

Love the design!

I hope a 10” tier and 6” tier will be enough for 25. I imagine so.

I would agree.

This will be White Cake with Milk Chocolate Ganache.  I made the choc egg white buttercream today, should I fill it with that or the light whipped ganache?  I am still obsessing about the Milk Chocolate Ganache—hoping it will not be too chocolaty (for a person who does not want chocolate with chocolate).

Who knew it was so difficult to bake for someone whose likes and dislikes you’re learning about second hand! Does he like grocery store cakes? Canned chocolate frosting?  I’m not familiar with the egg white buttercream - is it more like a chocolate mousseline buttercream in terms of chocolate intensity? I think the milk chocolate ganache holds wide appeal as it’s not nearly as intensely chocolaty as some of the other ganaches, including the whipped. (I made it for the first time this weekend and it was a huge hit). Whatever you choose will be far superior to whatever he’s tasted before!

Should I torte it?  Should I syrup it?

I think torting the cake would make it even more elegant and celebratory. But, if you’re concerned about the chocolate/vanilla flavour ratio, I would consider a chocolate filling for the middle layer only and perhaps vanilla (pastry cream or mousseline) between the other layers.
How far in advance of frosting/delivering the cake are you baking it? I would syrup the cakes if they’re being made a day in advance of being filled and frosted, especially if they’re being torted (increased surface area = increased potential for dryness) but that may just be my paranoia smile . I defer to the experts on the forum for the definitive answers to this.

Posted: 07 November 2011 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Georgie.  Yes torting is a way to get more filling. 

Sophia, you are right….. I was thinking this morning how difficult it is deciding when the info is coming second hand….Who know why he thinks chocolate and chocolate is too chocolaty.  I am even wondering if he meant yellow cake with chocolate frosting since he thought all white cake was angel food.  I just made the choc egg white buttercream…and I would say it is more like the mousseline, very light and light in color. 

far superior is right… I think that is the problem with some folks they have frequently only known “American” buttercream or store bought cakes.  I agree on the torting making it more elegant and celebratory.  I think since I have not done pastry cream before I may do vanilla mousseline. 

I think I will search the forum and TCB for hints on syruping a butter cake ... to be on the safe side. 

Thank you much, Sophia for all fo the feedback.  I would not be surprised if I come up with an issue this week.

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2011 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I think a tiered cake looks a bit more elegant and celebratory…

I agree wholeheartedly smile

I hope a 10” tier and 6” tier will be enough for 25

Definitely.  I just made a 6-8-10 and it served something like 75, cut wedding cake style.

I made the choc egg white buttercream today, should I fill it with that or the light whipped ganache?

You mentioned later in this thread vanilla mousseline, I would suggest white chocolate mousseline- it will blend in with the chocolate frosting better than vanilla, plus it has a yummier mouthfeel than vanilla.

Should I torte it?

If it were me, I would probably just fill between the layers, so you that you have one layer of filling for each tier instead of three.  I just find buttercreams pretty rich and wouldn’t want three layers.

Should I syrup it?

Yes, there are directions and a basic recipe in the wedding cake section in the Cake Bible.  I think it’s safer when making the cake ahead.

Oh and I have decided the other cake will be Golden Dream 9”.

Mmmmmm, yummy smile

It looks great!  Lots of work, you’ll be busy!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 09 November 2011 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 09 November 2011 02:08 AM

I think a tiered cake looks a bit more elegant and celebratory…

I agree wholeheartedly smile

I hope a 10” tier and 6” tier will be enough for 25

Definitely.  I just made a 6-8-10 and it served something like 75, cut wedding cake style.

I made the choc egg white buttercream today, should I fill it with that or the light whipped ganache?

You mentioned later in this thread vanilla mousseline, I would suggest white chocolate mousseline- it will blend in with the chocolate frosting better than vanilla, plus it has a yummier mouthfeel than vanilla.

Should I torte it?

If it were me, I would probably just fill between the layers, so you that you have one layer of filling for each tier instead of three.  I just find buttercreams pretty rich and wouldn’t want three layers.

Should I syrup it?

Yes, there are directions and a basic recipe in the wedding cake section in the Cake Bible.  I think it’s safer when making the cake ahead.

Oh and I have decided the other cake will be Golden Dream 9”.

Mmmmmm, yummy smile

It looks great!  Lots of work, you’ll be busy!

Thank you, Julie, I readthis via email and have been pondering…. how I am going to fill this cake.  I appreciate the detailed suggestions and feedback.  I have not even baked this cake yet and my mind has moved to transport logistics.

Signature 

‹‹ smaller Featherbed ?      candy molds ››