a student’s question on ovens
Posted: 08 November 2011 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-11-08

Hi guys! I attached a photo of my oven. As you can see, it’s very small and it has gas and electric options. There are also slots for three racks (top, middle, and bottom, of course).

The circulation of heat from this oven isn’t so great. Even if I use an oven thermometer, most things I bake in it come out with black burned tops and undercooked insides so I’ve been using the top rack to hang aluminum foil to shield whatever I bake. This tends to work for cupcakes, but when I venture on to different things, like cake layers and brownies baking in 9x13 pans, the sides cook faster than the centers. Due to this, when the cooking time is through, the center is still a little raw and the sides are almost crisp.

I’ve read in some of the posts that putting a quarry tile is necessary to keep the temperature even. Should I put one tile at the base of the oven and another at the top or is one tile sufficient? Perhaps it’s a calibration issue?

If you guys need more information about my oven, please just ask! I hope our family oven is not worthless. It’s about to reach a decade and hasn’t been used since three years ago.

Posted: 08 November 2011 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-08

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/63/dsc01319jpg.jpg/sr=1

Here’s the photo of my oven.

Posted: 08 November 2011 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  603
Joined  2007-11-27

Hello Pauline, welcome to the forums!

If the oven hasn’t been used in three years, you might want to consider having a repair technician come to look at it, to recalibrate the oven thermostat so it keeps a more accurate temp.  This way you will know that everything is ok in it; and you won’t have to go through all those gyrations just to bake smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 08 November 2011 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Most ovens have at least two heat sources. Top and bottom. It sounds like your bottom source is not working.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 08 November 2011 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-08

Hi Gene and Jeanne! It’s funny that the two replies came from people with almost the same name! smile

Looking for a technician to take a look at our oven! I will update you as soon as that’s over and done with.