A biggere Marble Velvet Cake
Posted: 08 November 2011 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2010-08-04

Hi everyone.

I am making a marble cake for my nieces b-day and I want to make the Marble Velvet Cake but I need to make it in a 11X 15 sheet cake pan. Any idea how I would go about increasing the batter?  Thanks in advance for your help.

DEE

Posted: 09 November 2011 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Dee!

Here’s a thread on this very topic!!  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3879/

Good luck!

—ak

Posted: 09 November 2011 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-04

Hmmm I am not sure this helps me :-( . I don’t want to do a biscuit I just want to do the marble cake but in the 11X15 size. I am doing it for my niece on the 22nd.

Posted: 10 November 2011 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Dee, I’m not sure if I have the magic answer on how to do this.  I’ve baked the marble cake and my sense of it is that the cake is already holding up the heavy melted chocolate mixture, so that it doesn’t have as much structure and support as a regular layer cake. 

There is probably a way to make it work, and if I were going to try it my first attempt would include these details:

-Scale the recipe to fit your pan’s volume, then reduce baking powder by 20% after scaling.
-When placing the heavier chocolate mixture on the cake, I would put less or even avoid altogether the very middle, to help it keep from sinking.
-Use cake strips
-Use an inverted flower nail or heat core in the center
-Make sure the oven is not too cool.
-Use a thermometer and make sure the center makes it to at least 190F before removing it from the oven.

If you do try it, please report back.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 16 November 2011 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-04

Hello All,

So I made the Marble Cake and followed the instruction of scaling the leavening back a bit. It came out just fine. I even put the chocolate in the middle and no worries. No cake strips and no flower nail as I forgot them both. I made and 11x 15 and my mom said it was delicious but I didn’t get that beautiful thick dark ring in the middle I was looking for.

Posted: 16 November 2011 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-04

Also in the Marble Velvet cake there is no melted chocolate although I have seen plenty of recipes with it. I bet it tastes even better. grin

Posted: 16 November 2011 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-04

Thanks Julie and Anne you both rock!!

Posted: 17 November 2011 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Dee, so glad your cake came out well!

I was thinking you were asking about the Marble Velvet Cake in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes, was that not the case?  That cake makes the chocolate part of the marble swirl by melting chocolate and folding it into part of the batter, that’s the melted chocolate mixture I was referring to. 

Sounds like maybe you were looking for a cake with the texture of a creamy filling, rather than a cake with chocolate and vanilla cakes swirled together, is that right?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 17 November 2011 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-04

Sorry Anne you are absolutely right I totally forgot I melted the chocolate, lol Brain Fart. I am looking for two cakes but mine didn’t have a distinct thick marbling . Like in the pic attached

Image Attachments
marblecake.png

Posted: 17 November 2011 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-08-04

I meant sorry Julie!!

‹‹ Hello from N.C.      Cake Pans ››