Using ice-cube tray for caramels?
Posted: 09 November 2011 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

I picked up today a Wilton silicone brownie mold square thingy to make caramels with. However, it only has 24 slots, my recipe makes about 75! So I was thinking I could use ice-cube trays ... has anyone tried this with caramels? Thanks smile

Posted: 12 November 2011 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

I haven’t, but I feel your pain looking for an alternative!

I can’t help but think it would have to be very well prepared to get the little beasts out of it.  Also, I’m not sure if you mean the old metal ice cube trays, with the big pull lever in the middle, or the “regular” kind that you twist to get them out.  Af course, there’s the ones will the many, many tiny caveties, too.  All seem like they’d be hard to get teh caramels out (except if there were silicone).  Also, I think it would be hard to get the caramel IN if there were much space between the caveties.

What I do with my caramels is line a 1/4 sheet pan (so I can lift out the caramels) when they are the perfect temperature for cutting (you just sort of have to try it), and then I cut them with a pizza cutter into long strips, then each stirp into caramels.  I keep most of them in the fridge in as much a single layer as possible while wrapping a couple dozen or so—don’t let teh dozen touch each other, because they get softer and really wan tto stick.

Posted: 12 November 2011 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

Anne -

I haven’t thought of those metal ice cube trays with the lever for ages - reminds me of growing up - I hated those!!

Well…. the plastic ice cube trays sort-a kind-a worked but not really. I should of just done the sheet tray method….

The ones from the wilton mini brownie pan mold came out great - perfect looking squares, really neat. Of course, I have to justify buying another piece of baking equipment
(did I really need this brownie pan?! Will I ever make mini brownies?!) so it looks like I have a lot of caramel making in my near future! 

smile

Posted: 12 November 2011 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

So glad the mini brownie pan worked!!!  Can you please post a link to it so I know what it is?  I’m planning on making caramels, so it would be cool to conisder.  How did you pour the caramel into each hole without—I don’t know—going crazy or something.

Yeah, those metal ice cube trays were the WORST!

Posted: 13 November 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

Hi Anne

Here is the link to what I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2105-4923-24-Cavity-Silicone-Brownie-Squares/dp/B001T4URXG
(copy and paste into your browser or do a search on Amazon for ‘Wilton mini brownie pan”

I got mine at Michaels craft store and it was more like $10… but if you don’t forget to bring your coupon - then there you go!

I didn’t think how I was going to pour the caramel from the pan to the tray…. so I poured it in a large glass measuring cup and poured it into the mold
(one by one) that way. It worked out pretty well! The mold is awesome - I just put it into my fridge for a bit after I poured the caramel in, and they came right out! Fun!

I hope this info helps smile