I had to do it
Posted: 10 November 2011 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/thermapen-digital-thermometer

What I was using would not come on.  I think I got water in it.  Well now that I have ordered what I really wanted.  Let me see if I can revive it….since I have to wait 4 to 7 days (free shipping).

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 10 November 2011 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Worth every penny!

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 10 November 2011 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

So massively awesome!  I’m going to tell the hub that if my sister calls asking what my mother can get me for Christmas, that I definitely want this!!!!!  Oh, perfect caramel!!!!  Oh, perfectly done cakes!!!!  Oh, perfect sugar syrups for buttercreams!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 10 November 2011 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

On an aside…does everyone here use altitude adjustments?  Is it a linear scale for adjustment of the temperature?  I believe my boiling point is 209F here…so if a syrup is called to 248—I should be pulling at 245F?

The Thermapen is awesome, though!  Very durable and quick!

Posted: 10 November 2011 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 10 November 2011 02:48 PM

So massively awesome!  I’m going to tell the hub that if my sister calls asking what my mother can get me for Christmas, that I definitely want this!!!!!  Oh, perfect caramel!!!!  Oh, perfectly done cakes!!!!  Oh, perfect sugar syrups for buttercreams!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I had to remove this from my Amazon wish list (as if anyone is paying attention).  After my inferior one broke, I nterrupted myself to go online and order.  Meanwhile, my buttercream was a soupy mess because I was guessing the temp of the meringue (had it for the syrup).  It came together beautifull, however.  That mousselline is a perfect example of “no pain, no gain”.

Signature 

Posted: 10 November 2011 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations on your awesome new thermapen!  smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 10 November 2011 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-11-04

After reading about it, I want one.  Do ya think Santa delivers??? smile

Posted: 10 November 2011 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2008-09-27

Thermapens are nice but there isn’t anything you can do with one that you couldn’t do with a variety of other less expensive (slower) thermometers.  The $10 one I had at Target before I got my Thermapen was perfectly accurate, it just took 20 seconds, which is a long time when the oven door is open.  For things like sugar syrups, I’d rather have a probe that stayed in the syrup.  One of those meat thermometers with a long cord between the display and probe is ideal.  Foolishly, I had previously purchased one from William-Sonoma that had a very long, rigid probe that attached directly to the display; it was intended for candy-making, but it was very top heavy and unstable when attached to the pot.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 November 2011 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
NanaPam - 10 November 2011 06:21 PM

After reading about it, I want one.  Do ya think Santa delivers??? smile

My notices to Santa that I have an Amazon wish list did not work….I hope you have better success.

Signature 

Posted: 11 November 2011 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 11 November 2011 12:03 AM

Thermapens are nice but there isn’t anything you can do with one that you couldn’t do with a variety of other less expensive (slower) thermometers.  The $10 one I had at Target before I got my Thermapen was perfectly accurate, it just took 20 seconds, which is a long time when the oven door is open.  For things like sugar syrups, I’d rather have a probe that stayed in the syrup.  One of those meat thermometers with a long cord between the display and probe is ideal.  Foolishly, I had previously purchased one from William-Sonoma that had a very long, rigid probe that attached directly to the display; it was intended for candy-making, but it was very top heavy and unstable when attached to the pot.

Yes, my less expensive CDN one worked but it took too long.  One that stayed in the syrup would be nice but probably make me careless.

Signature 

Posted: 11 November 2011 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I have most everything listed or used for all of Rose’s books.  My thermapen is the tool I use the most!!!!!  Testing cakes for doneness is what I use it for the most.  Safe to say that I no longer know how to do it with a toothpick or with any visuals.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 11 November 2011 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Yes, Hector, I missed having thermometer when baking cakes this a.m.  Only 3 days away now.

Signature 

Posted: 11 November 2011 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-11-04

I wonder if the Pampered Chef thermometer that’s on a cord is good for anything other than roasts and turkeys????

Posted: 13 November 2011 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
NanaPam - 11 November 2011 11:56 PM

I wonder if the Pampered Chef thermometer that’s on a cord is good for anything other than roasts and turkeys????

I wonder also since my oven come with a probe.  I may try it one day.

Signature