Roulette Table Grooms Cake - with spinning wheel!
Posted: 12 November 2011 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

So I’ve had a massive undertaking this week.  A last minute bride (notified me 10 days prior to nuptuals) wanted me to make a surprise grooms cake for 75 people of an entire roulette table, complete with the wheel and board.  I was happy to oblige! Here’s the stats on the cake:

(my own recipe) Chocolate Blackout Cake
Rose’s Brandied Cherries using tart canned cherries instead of dried
Super stabilized whipped cream, lightly sweetened (gelatin)
Rose’s Midnight Ganache
Marshmallow fondant

It took me 2-3 days worth of cutting numbers out by hand with an x-acto knife and getting all the decorative pieces together the day before.  Two nights before I made the ganache.  The night before I froze the filled cakes (2 halves of a 12” round, one 12” x 18” sheet, and 1 9” round) because my refrigerator can’t possibly fit a 12” x 30” long cake, DUH. 

8am, I started assembly with frozen cakes.  4:30pm finished and was on my way to the venue!

Happy news too! Husband realized my need for a larger refrigerator this week, so he bought me a used commercial refrigerator in great shape and it arrived this morning! HUGE stress relief!

Image Attachments
IMG_8505_small.jpgIMG_8518_small.jpg

Posted: 12 November 2011 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

If I could put up the video of the wheel spinning I would!  These will just have to do smile

Image Attachments
IMG_8506_small.jpgIMG_8503_small.jpg

Posted: 12 November 2011 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Oh my gosh! I’m stunned!! big surprise  That is just amazing! It doesn’t look like a cake AT ALL! Ummmm did it outshine the wedding cake?

Do you have pictures of it sliced? I’d love to see the interior.

You are incredibly talented and this is just awesome!

Congrats on the new fridge. I think your hubby deserve’s his own roulette wheel for that! grin

Posted: 12 November 2011 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Massive!

(and awesome hubby!)

Posted: 12 November 2011 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

It’s magnificent!  big surprise

You have amazing skills and great patience to put that together last minute.  I can hardly believe the details on the numbers, wheel, etc.  And I love that both the wedding cake and the roulette wheel have matching gold beading, despite being such differently styled cakes.  It makes it all seem very well thought-out and put together.

Your husband sounds great- he took one look at that cake and realized how much more business you were going to get!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 12 November 2011 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-07-30

This cake is INDEED beyond talent. Just to think how much time, effort and precision went into it to create something so realistic and delicious. I love it.

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/FantasyCakesByCassy

Posted: 12 November 2011 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Phenomenal cake! You are incredibly talented.

Posted: 13 November 2011 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24
DouxHouse - 12 November 2011 05:09 AM

So I’ve had a massive undertaking this week.  A last minute bride (notified me 10 days prior to nuptuals) wanted me to make a surprise grooms cake for 75 people of an entire roulette table, complete with the wheel and board.  I was happy to oblige! Here’s the stats on the cake:

(my own recipe) Chocolate Blackout Cake
Rose’s Brandied Cherries using tart canned cherries instead of dried
Super stabilized whipped cream, lightly sweetened (gelatin)
Rose’s Midnight Ganache
Marshmallow fondant

It took me 2-3 days worth of cutting numbers out by hand with an x-acto knife and getting all the decorative pieces together the day before.  Two nights before I made the ganache.  The night before I froze the filled cakes (2 halves of a 12” round, one 12” x 18” sheet, and 1 9” round) because my refrigerator can’t possibly fit a 12” x 30” long cake, DUH. 

8am, I started assembly with frozen cakes.  4:30pm finished and was on my way to the venue!

Happy news too! Husband realized my need for a larger refrigerator this week, so he bought me a used commercial refrigerator in great shape and it arrived this morning! HUGE stress relief!

cut out numbers by hand!!! bought you a refrigerator?  my kinda man!!  Your work is very impressive as usual!!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 13 November 2011 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Incredible and so real looking. You are amazing !

Posted: 14 November 2011 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

DouxHouse, That cake looks fantastic!  Did you find instructions in a book or on the internet somewhere?  If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.  I would love to attempt to make something similar down the road.  Thanks:)

Posted: 14 November 2011 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Georgie - 12 November 2011 09:50 AM

Oh my gosh! I’m stunned!! big surprise  That is just amazing! It doesn’t look like a cake AT ALL! Ummmm did it outshine the wedding cake?

Do you have pictures of it sliced? I’d love to see the interior.

You are incredibly talented and this is just awesome!

Congrats on the new fridge. I think your hubby deserve’s his own roulette wheel for that! grin

Thanks Georgie! I don’t have pictures of the interior just yet, but hopefully their photographer got some.  It may be a while but I’ll post ‘em as soon as their proofs are available smile

Kathy1 - 14 November 2011 03:23 PM

DouxHouse, That cake looks fantastic!  Did you find instructions in a book or on the internet somewhere?  If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.  I would love to attempt to make something similar down the road.  Thanks:)

I sure didn’t and I wish there was something online! I had to do a bunch of research, look at several roulette tables and photographs, do a little photoshop work to get a wheel printed out the exact size I needed, and just plan, plan and plan some more!  I figured out the scale for my chocolate cake recipe.  It wasn’t too terrible, I mean the cake was just a 12"x18"x 2” pan with a 12” round cut in half on either side. 

I refrigerated the cakes so they were cold, added the stabilized whipped cream, then plopped the cherries and plunged them into the cream, topped with the other cake.  I froze those cakes overnight.  The next morning I iced them with the midnight ganache and rolled out my premade fondant on top.  I kind of had to improvise as I went, but the shape was really easy.  Green on top, black on the sides.  Then a black fondant ‘snake’ pressed down made the bumper.  I used a pearl mold and used leftover ‘wood’ fondant to press into, then covered them with Old Gold luster dilluted in everclear.  The wheel itself was a 9” cake round for the outer ‘wood’ part, then I used a small bowl I had to cut out the center, and sculpted it to fit my roulette numbers.  Those were the biggest challenge. I had to print out a scaled roulette wheel, place black fondant over red, and cut out each section.  Then I removed the sections I didn’t need, made the ‘0’ and ‘00’ out of leftover green.  I hand painted each section with their appropriate numbers using a tiny brush and copied off a printed out font I really liked. I had to invent something to make the roulette spin, using parts of pens, cardboard, hot glue and a 3” lazy susan I found at a woodworking store in town. 

I really wish I had taken photos as I went, but I was so pressed for time that I didn’t even want to pull the camera out.  If I get another request for a cake like this, I’ll be sure to take photos next time.

On a side note:  I studied Fine Arts in college and graduated with a degree in Art Education with a specialization in ceramics and sculpture, so building and sculpting 3-dimensionally requires less effort for me than others.  I do tend to do a LOT of research, maybe overkill.  It actually irritated my husband, lol.  But it pays off if you can figure out how something works and make it work for what you’re building.

Posted: 14 November 2011 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

Really cool!!

Posted: 15 November 2011 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Thanks DouxHouse.

Posted: 15 November 2011 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank