1 of 2
What is everyone baking for Thanksgiving?
Posted: 17 November 2011 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

I often do a pumpkin cheesecake or swiss roll… but would love to do something over the top.. just can’t figure out what that is yet smile But I do know that pumpkin pie never seems to disappoint! Just curious to when everyone else was baking?

Posted: 17 November 2011 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

That is a good question, Sarahmdr!!  Cheesecake sounds like a great idea. 

I would like to be a little over the top and please the family as well.  I am required to bake a sweet potato pie.  I see Rose has pumpkin pie, I was going to adapt that but I use fresh sweet potato and not sure about her approach with the pumpkin.  I have order for Sweet Potato cake and Lemon Almond cake.  So for that reason also I would like to do something different.  I think if they may be disappointed if I do not do sweet potato cake.  I am seriously thinking chocolate but perhaps I should save that for Christmas.  I guess we have to decide in the day or two.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 17 November 2011 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

Funny you say that CRenee! I just picked up at the library (and I hope Rose doesn’t mind me saying so… even thou she is included in the book!) “Maida Heatter’s Cakes “.. and I was just looking at her Pecan Sweet Potato Layered Cake recipe.. I thought it sounded so good and would be something different to make… Maybe you could turn the pie into a cake smile

Posted: 17 November 2011 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sarahmdr - 18 November 2011 02:42 AM

Funny you say that CRenee! I just picked up at the library (and I hope Rose doesn’t mind me saying so… even thou she is included in the book!) “Maida Heatter’s Cakes “.. and I was just looking at her Pecan Sweet Potato Layered Cake recipe.. I thought it sounded so good and would be something different to make… Maybe you could turn the pie into a cake smile

I will have to check that recipe out.  Mine has an option of Pecans or Walnuts but I always use Walnuts (they cost less than walnuts).  I do plan one day (when I have nothing else to do to try other recipes…but I prefer weighiny my ingredients as Rose does.  I have been considering using Rose Pumpkin cake and use Sweet Potato instead but it is so different from mine.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2011 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Bill Neal has an outrageously good, over-the-top sweet potato pie in his book, Southern Cooking.  That pie’s pecan crumble topping is amazing.

I’m making concord grape pie, as one familiy has chocolate taken care of and another is doing the pumpkin pie.  Also, concord grape may just be my all-time favorite pie.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 18 November 2011 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 18 November 2011 11:40 AM

Bill Neal has an outrageously good, over-the-top sweet potato pie in his book, Southern Cooking.  That pie’s pecan crumble topping is amazing.

I’m making concord grape pie, as one familiy has chocolate taken care of and another is doing the pumpkin pie.  Also, concord grape may just be my all-time favorite pie.

Hmmm another book to checkout?!!  Concord grapes I love!! Concord grape pie - sounds interesting.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2011 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

I’ve never had grape pie, how interesting!! I bet it tastes amazing.  Thanks for the book tip Julie.

Posted: 18 November 2011 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sarahmdr - 18 November 2011 02:42 AM

I just ordered the book.  Cookbooks - major weakness.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2011 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

I own her chocolate desserts book, but her cake book is much better in my opinion. I also have a weakness for cookbooks ... you should see my amazon wishlist smile

I think you will love this book, I practically have every page bookmarked. I would love to hear what you think of it when you get it.

Posted: 18 November 2011 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sarahmdr - 18 November 2011 06:47 PM

I own her chocolate desserts book, but her cake book is much better in my opinion. I also have a weakness for cookbooks ... you should see my amazon wishlist smile

I think you will love this book, I practically have every page bookmarked. I would love to hear what you think of it when you get it.

I wish my family would see my Amazon wish list.  I am looking for to anything with sweet potato and rum.  I imagine she is not giving the weight of the ingredients so that will take some extra work converting them.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2011 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

Unfortunately, she does not work in weights. She pairs her pecan sweet potato cake with a marshmallow icing! No rum in the recipe, but I bet you could sneak some in smile She also has a sweet potato pound cake in the book.

We are rum fans in this house (and we bake with it to, lol) I would be interested to know what you come up with.

On a side note, I’m not sure if you bake other items than cake.. but one of my books from school I still use to this day (and all the recipes are in weights smile is “Professional Baking” Fifth Edition (Published by John Wiley and Sons) It’s not the most “creative” baking book.. but I find myself going back to it over the years…  At the very least, it’s good for an Amazon Wish List!

Here is the link if you want to copy and paste in your browser..

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Baking-Wayne-Gisslen/dp/047178348X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321652530&sr=1-1

p.s… I could talk about (cook) books all day.

Posted: 18 November 2011 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Sarahmdr - 18 November 2011 09:45 PM

Unfortunately, she does not work in weights. She pairs her pecan sweet potato cake with a marshmallow icing! No rum in the recipe, but I bet you could sneak some in smile She also has a sweet potato pound cake in the book.

We are rum fans in this house (and we bake with it to, lol) I would be interested to know what you come up with.

On a side note, I’m not sure if you bake other items than cake.. but one of my books from school I still use to this day and all the recipes are in weights smile Its “Professional Baking” Fifth Edition (Published by John Wiley and Sons) It’s not the most “creative” baking book.. but I find myself going back to it over the years…  At the very least, it’s good for an Amazon Wish List!

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Baking-Wayne-Gisslen/dp/047178348X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321652530&sr=1-1

My sister insists that marshallows are added to candied sweet potatos. Actually, I am looking to do a rum cake from scratch separate from the sweet potato.  I am looking forward to trying the sweet potato pound.  I did not like the last recipe I found and tried.  I have considering trying mine in a bundt shape.  A rum glaze or rum infused buttercream might be good with sweet potato cake.  My family complains when it appears I have changed the recipe.  The cake is so popular.  I just took one out of the oven for delivery tomorrow.    I am addicted to adding things to my wish list.  I really prefer baking books providing weights—-being spoiled by Rose and the consistency and perfection this offers.  Thank you for the link… I will check it out.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2011 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17
Sarahmdr - 18 November 2011 09:45 PM

On a side note, I’m not sure if you bake other items than cake.. but one of my books from school I still use to this day (and all the recipes are in weights smile is “Professional Baking” Fifth Edition (Published by John Wiley and Sons) It’s not the most “creative” baking book.. but I find myself going back to it over the years…  At the very least, it’s good for an Amazon Wish List!

I have all of her books. As you said, she doesn’t use weights. I use the conversions Rose provides in TPPB. Do you convert her measurements or use volume?

Posted: 18 November 2011 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

I use weight when baking now and for recipes I already used from other sources, I typically convert them to weight through a couple of trials and taking notes.  I do need to study PPB more.  Do you have a favorite pie from there?  I am trying to decide on something to introduce to my family and for the November bakeoff.

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2011 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16
CRenee - 19 November 2011 02:29 AM

Do you have a favorite pie from there?  I am trying to decide on something to introduce to my family and for the November bakeoff.

My favorites so far are the open-face apple pie, apple dumplings, concord grape pie and sour cherry pie, but those last two may only work if you already have the fruit tucked away in your freezer.  And despite being a not-too-sweet person, the pecan pie is my favorite non-fruit pie so far, it’s wonderful.

If you need a pie that can be made ahead, the chiffon pies can be frozen.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 20 November 2011 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 20 November 2011 11:55 AM
CRenee - 19 November 2011 02:29 AM

Do you have a favorite pie from there?  I am trying to decide on something to introduce to my family and for the November bakeoff.

My favorites so far are the open-face apple pie, apple dumplings, concord grape pie and sour cherry pie, but those last two may only work if you already have the fruit tucked away in your freezer.  And despite being a not-too-sweet person, the pecan pie is my favorite non-fruit pie so far, it’s wonderful.

If you need a pie that can be made ahead, the chiffon pies can be frozen.

Funny, I was looking at the Open Face and Apple Dumpling last night.  Also, I was considering the Apple with Crumb topping.

Signature 

1 of 2