2 of 2
What is everyone baking for Thanksgiving?
Posted: 21 November 2011 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

I’m going to try Rose’s Pumpkin Pie for the first time this year. I usually do an apple pie for Thanksgiving, but am thinking one of Rose’s Chiffon pies would be a nice lighter alternative. I’ve just made a batch of passion fruit curd (yum and oh the smell while it was cooking!!!) and may do the passion fruit version of the Lemon Angel Chiffon with crisp meringue crust. Julie, do you usually make the chiffons with the meringue crust or the cookie?

I made Rose’s White Spice Pound Cake on Saturday and it’s gone already. My 11 year old says it’s “THE BEST!!” He and his friend gobbled half of it in one sitting! He’s placed his order for another for Thanksgiving, so I’ll try to work that in as well.

Posted: 21 November 2011 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

CRenee, the apple crumb pie may be fantastic, I just haven’t gotten around to trying it yet. smile

Georgie, I make the chiffons with the cookie crust, as I’m not a big fan of meringue.  Your passion fruit chiffon sounds wonderful!  It wouldn’t hurt to coat your crust with a thin layer of melted white chocolate or egg white (egg white applied on a hot crust) to help keep it crisp.

There’s a picture on cookbooker of the lemon chiffon with a meringue crust.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 21 November 2011 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Ah Julie, thank you! That’s exactly kind of tidbit I was hoping for smile I discovered homemade meringues about a year ago and fell in love with them.. Biting through the crispy exterior and it melting in your mouth (inject contented sigh here) The idea of it as a pie crust intrigues me. I’ll try your white chocolate suggestion to keep it nice and crisp! I was a little worried about that.

2 of 2