The concept of this cake was to feature a coffee my boss brought me as a gift. However, the cake really kicked my butt. It’s a mocha cake with mocha/coconut/rum ganache.
The cake part is the Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake, made with really, really strong coffee rather than boiling water. I made it to be one layer—same size as the PAAC Torte.
The ganache is the Midnight Ganache with two major changes: (1) Really, really strong coffee instead of boiling water and (2) coconut flour and cocoa butter subbing for cocoa powder (I wanted to scale-back the chocolate flavor so the coffee flavor would stand out more).
It was nothing less than a monster hit. Even my boss who usually has a very thin slice and eats half of it now and the other half through the day, had a whole thin slice and took another with her! I loved it, and I was very skeptical about it—almost didn’t bring it in until some time after “the ordeal” passed!!!
Here’s the ordeal:
1. I prepared my dry ingredients the night before. I processed the sugar and the food processor sounded sort of funky. Nonetheless, I pitched the sugar in with the flour, etc. I processed the sugar for the caramel and put it in its pan for the next day.
2. Luckily, I started with the caramel on Saturday morning, because when I added water to it, little plastic parts floated. The food processor sort of ate itself for no apparent reason. I had to throw out the sugar and all the dry ingredients—boy do I hate throwing stuff out!!!!
3. I made the cake layer Saturday afternoon, and it was really flat. I was only going to make one layer, because I only had two eggs.
4. Meanwhile, the ganache had no intention of completely setting, so I melted more cocoa butter (had originally used 32% of the cocoa powder weight) and added it, with more vanilla beans, to the ganache. Now it’s hard as a rock!!!
5. Sunday, I had to go out and buy more eggs. And I had to remelt the ganache to add more cream and more rum (yum). Luckily, it made more than expected, so I had enough for two layers!!
6. Made the second layer (the top layer) with the following exeriment: I used the whisk beater for blending in the last of the egg mixture (last 20 seconds of mixing). It’s much higher. Yes, I do see the little air pocket in my slice, though, so I consider the results undetermined at this time.
So, there it is!