Moco on the G’Go Go - Ordeal by Cake
Posted: 19 November 2011 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

The concept of this cake was to feature a coffee my boss brought me as a gift.  However, the cake really kicked my butt.  It’s a mocha cake with mocha/coconut/rum ganache. 

The cake part is the Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake, made with really, really strong coffee rather than boiling water.  I made it to be one layer—same size as the PAAC Torte.

The ganache is the Midnight Ganache with two major changes:  (1) Really, really strong coffee instead of boiling water and (2) coconut flour and cocoa butter subbing for cocoa powder (I wanted to scale-back the chocolate flavor so the coffee flavor would stand out more).

It was nothing less than a monster hit.  Even my boss who usually has a very thin slice and eats half of it now and the other half through the day, had a whole thin slice and took another with her!  I loved it, and I was very skeptical about it—almost didn’t bring it in until some time after “the ordeal” passed!!!

Here’s the ordeal:

1.  I prepared my dry ingredients the night before.  I processed the sugar and the food processor sounded sort of funky.  Nonetheless, I pitched the sugar in with the flour, etc.  I processed the sugar for the caramel and put it in its pan for the next day.

2.  Luckily, I started with the caramel on Saturday morning, because when I added water to it, little plastic parts floated.  The food processor sort of ate itself for no apparent reason.  I had to throw out the sugar and all the dry ingredients—boy do I hate throwing stuff out!!!!

3.  I made the cake layer Saturday afternoon, and it was really flat.  I was only going to make one layer, because I only had two eggs.

4.  Meanwhile, the ganache had no intention of completely setting, so I melted more cocoa butter (had originally used 32% of the cocoa powder weight) and added it, with more vanilla beans, to the ganache.  Now it’s hard as a rock!!!

5.  Sunday, I had to go out and buy more eggs.  And I had to remelt the ganache to add more cream and more rum (yum).  Luckily, it made more than expected, so I had enough for two layers!!

6. Made the second layer (the top layer) with the following exeriment:  I used the whisk beater for blending in the last of the egg mixture (last 20 seconds of mixing).  It’s much higher.  Yes, I do see the little air pocket in my slice, though, so I consider the results undetermined at this time.

So, there it is!

Image Attachments
DSC00427.jpgDSC00433.jpgDSC00434.jpg

Posted: 19 November 2011 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

WOW!!!!! Your cake looks so good! It is so tall, the frosting is great, as usual and it looks so light with a perfect crumb. I have to add, you are very inventive. That slice is amazing! Your boss just has to love it!

Posted: 19 November 2011 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Yes, very very clever.  I am glad after all that potential frustration that it was a hit.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 November 2011 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Your cake looks just perfect, and it sounds like everyone liked it a lot! 

So sorry about the food processor spewing off plastic bits, yikes!  It’s so fortunate that you caught it before making much of the cake.

I can see that using the whisk led to a little more height in your second layer, interesting.  Sometimes, when I’m making cupcakes from a butter cake batter and I want more fluff and volume, I do a sort of hybrid technique.  I use Rose’s mixing method, except I start out by creaming the sugar with the butter until lightened and fluffy, then add dry ingredients (which have been whisked by hand in a separate bowl) along with a portion of the wet ingredients (per the recipe) and continue with the standard method.  It works for cupcakes but I haven’t tried it with layer cakes.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 20 November 2011 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

What a gorgeous cake. Sounds delicious too….how can you go wrong with chocolate, coffee and rum!

Posted: 20 November 2011 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, everyone!  I was very glad it was so good, because it was very trying!!

Julie, thanks for the suggestions on mixing method!

As a p.s., I didn’t grind the sugar (obviously, since the FP broke), and the cake texture was fabulous, so I may not replace the food processor at all.

Posted: 20 November 2011 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Wow, this cake looks really good. And hats off for persevering and making such a spectacular cake!
How tall was the finished cake? It looks humongous.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 20 November 2011 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Your cakes always look and sound so yummy Anne! Love your flavor combination!

Posted: 21 November 2011 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-07-30

Your cake sound deadly! I would have LOVED a slice of it. It looks really good too smile

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/FantasyCakesByCassy

Posted: 21 November 2011 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks again, everyone!

McB - I don’t know how tall it was.  But it always trips me out how flat each of these layers looked, but, when made into a two-layer cake, it was colossal in size.  Go figure.