1 of 2
White chocolate and Raspberry?
Posted: 20 November 2011 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

Thinking of making a white chocolate raspberry cake. I like the idea of making a raspberry cloud cream filling, and using a thin layer of raspberry filling in there too.  I’m thinking of using the WC creamy dreamy frosting on the outside, and then using this HUGE batch of white chocolate I have to decorate the outside.. like those WC cigarettes. 

Cake suggestions? White chocolate whisper? Genioise? Biscuit savoie?  I wanted a really light cake, nothing dense.

Posted: 20 November 2011 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

Ooo… what about lemon chiffon?

Posted: 20 November 2011 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

The white chocolate whisper is fabulous.  So is the golden luxury butter cake.  One is the egg white version, the other is the egg yolk version of the same recipe.  So, go for color.  They are each my fave of their class of cake (egg white/egg yolk). 

Raspberry cloud cream packs quite a punch (if it’s like the whipped cream used for the almond shamash chiffon), so I think you can get away without the layer of raspberry filling.

For the outside, I hear the white chocolate vanilla frosting used on one of the wedding cakes is fabulous, and it’s supposed to be better even than the white chocolate mousseline. 

It sounds like it will be a beautiful and delicious cake!!!

Posted: 20 November 2011 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

Thanks Anne! I think I’ll go for the white chocolate whisper… although that golden luxury is what made me think of doing a raspberry version. I’ve never made the cloud cream, but it sounds really good.  I kind of wanted that thin bright red filling to contrast the white cake though.  I wonder what would taste better, white chocolate vanilla frosting and the raspberry filling instead of cloud cream, or just the raspberry cloud cream with the WC frosting on the outside.

Decisions Decisions…....

Posted: 21 November 2011 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Lemon with raspberry sounds great to me!!  Although I am not a fan of white chocolate, I enjoyed it recently in the Mousseline Buttercream.  I understand wanting the red color in the filling, however, I also associate pink with raspberry as well.  If you make the mousselline you can use the yolks in the cake.  I love I can use all of the egg. 

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 November 2011 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

I’m just so ‘over’ chocolate cake right now since I’ve had to make so many this month.  I’m not a huge fan of white chocolate either, but I’m having a hard time finding a pairing that works with raspberry that’s NOT chocolate.  I guess I could always go for a light lemon buttercream.. like a neoclassic with some meyer lemon in it. 

I wanted to do a nice presentation since the person who requested this cake wanted it to look and taste ‘spectacular’.  Tall order, right?  I was going to make those curled lemon roses and put those ontop of the cake with raspberries and a spun sugar cage or nest around them.  Then do the white chocolate cigarettes on the outside.  I tried making those cigarettes by the way.. I watched a bunch of youtube videos, but my execution was terrible and I couldn’t really get them to work the way I need.  I think I need a different scraper, something thinner than the ones I have now.  Either that or suck it up and buy them somewhere.

*sigh*

I need to just bake through the whole Cake Bible like Anne did.  Then I wouldn’t have to ask so many questions!

Posted: 21 November 2011 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

My vote is with Renee and the Lemon/Raspberry combination. I love, love the look of those lemon-peel roses you proposed too. They would be so pretty! Maybe with a fresh raspberry peeking out or scattered here and there? I like the idea of little spun sugar nests. I’m sure whatever you decide will be tasty and stunning. Can’t wait to see pics!!

Posted: 21 November 2011 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Lemon pairs wonderfully with raspberry and with white chocolate, too.  I generally enjoy sponge-type cakes more than butter cakes, so consider the source, but the lemon chiffon layer in RHC (orange version in RHC, lemon details on blog) is one of, if not THE cake that I like best.  Especially when paired with a whipped cream-based frosting/filling.  Fluffy, light, moist and yummy.

The white chocolate whisper cake has a beautiful texture, but the flavor of the white chocolate does come through a bit so use a good one if you go that route.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 November 2011 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Lemon is awesome, and I hear the lemon chiffon is just fabulous, so if you’re up for lemon, that’s a great choice.  Also, chiffon is closer to being really light than a butter cake like the white chocolate whisper.

I love butter cakes, myself, but it’s a personal preference—I’d say you can’t go wrong either way.

My vote, raspberry-wise, is for the cloud cream, only because it fries people’s brains because it’s so delicious.  (I’m assuming its the same as the Almond Shamah Chiffon, which is jam-stabilized whipped cream, although I used a mix of jam and Rose’s homemade conserve).  It’s a gorgous color, and it’s so light and fluffy.

If you decide do go with the chiffon, I might not use the white chocolate frosting—I’m not sure if that would go with a chiffon or not.  You can always frost the whole thing with the cloud cream and then cover it with white chocolate snow flakes (grated white chocolate)!!!!! 

Any particular reason raspberries are mandatory in this context?

Thanks for the compliment—but I haven’t baked through TCB yet!!!!!!!  But I did read the whole thing!  Also, I ask lots of questions.  Lots.  LOTS.  So feel free, for sure!

Posted: 21 November 2011 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Ooh of these all sound like great ideas.  I love the lemon chiffon and raspberry cloud cream idea—I think it would be devine and light. 

I’m not sure which WC “frosting” is being suggested.  There is the White Chocolate Mouselline and then the White Chocolate Buttercream from RHC (for the Golden Dream Wedding Cake) and also to not forget, there is the White Chocolate Lemon Buttercream from Woody’s Lemon Luxury Cake (can’t recall exact name).  I guess it would depend how lemony you wish to get with the buttercreams!

I should clarify the Cloud Cream from TCB does not use jam—it uses Rose’s fruit puree with gelatin to stabilize.  Having tried both the Cloud Creams and the Jam Whipped Cream from Almond Shamah, I have to say my preference is for the cloud cream—get straining the raspberries!!!  The fruit flavour really comes through with the cloud cream. 

Can’t wait to see the results!

Posted: 21 November 2011 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Sherrie!  I meant the White Chocolate Buttercream—this is the one I’ve heard is spectacular. 

I added puree to the jam-stabilized whipped cream, because I thought the jam-stabilized lacked good flavor and color, so I’d go with the cloud cream, as well.

Posted: 21 November 2011 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 21 November 2011 02:27 PM

Lemon is awesome, and I hear the lemon chiffon is just fabulous, so if you’re up for lemon, that’s a great choice.  Also, chiffon is closer to being really light than a butter cake like the white chocolate whisper.

I love butter cakes, myself, but it’s a personal preference—I’d say you can’t go wrong either way.

My vote, raspberry-wise, is for the cloud cream, only because it fries people’s brains because it’s so delicious.  (I’m assuming its the same as the Almond Shamah Chiffon, which is jam-stabilized whipped cream, although I used a mix of jam and Rose’s homemade conserve).  It’s a gorgous color, and it’s so light and fluffy.

If you decide do go with the chiffon, I might not use the white chocolate frosting—I’m not sure if that would go with a chiffon or not.  You can always frost the whole thing with the cloud cream and then cover it with white chocolate snow flakes (grated white chocolate)!!!!! 

Any particular reason raspberries are mandatory in this context?

Thanks for the compliment—but I haven’t baked through TCB yet!!!!!!!  But I did read the whole thing!  Also, I ask lots of questions.  Lots.  LOTS.  So feel free, for sure!

I like the idea of frosting the entire cake in the cloud.  It is pink right, that would not be so ordinary.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 November 2011 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06
Georgie - 21 November 2011 12:36 PM

My vote is with Renee and the Lemon/Raspberry combination. I love, love the look of those lemon-peel roses you proposed too. They would be so pretty! Maybe with a fresh raspberry peeking out or scattered here and there? I like the idea of little spun sugar nests. I’m sure whatever you decide will be tasty and stunning. Can’t wait to see pics!!

Yesss.. that’s exactly what I was going for.  I thought about also using some soft pink white chocolate ‘rose’ curls inbetween too. 

So many combinations to think about! I wanted to torte the slices of the whisper cake in half, so total of 4 slices.  So it would be white cake, then have the puree’d raspberry, then white chocolate buttercream, then cake again.  But that cloud cream sounds sooo good.

Anne- Raspberries aren’t necessary, but I just wanted to get away from the whole chocolate/vanilla thing.  I thought of that, or passion fruit, since I bought a bunch of PF puree the other day.  The white chocolate passion cake sounds so good, I just worry about it being too rich.

I could always make two whisper cakes, and make one passion and one raspberry with the white chocolate buttercream.  Then let them choose, and I can keep the one left over for Thanksgiving wink

Posted: 21 November 2011 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, I love the “make two cakes” option—the more the merrier.

I was thinking maybe you had to use raspberries for this customer but were trying to find something other than chocolate to go with them.

Why does everyone on planet Earth have access to passion fruit puree but me????

Have fun!  Can’t wait for pics!

Posted: 21 November 2011 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06
Anne in NC - 22 November 2011 03:12 AM

Oh, I love the “make two cakes” option—the more the merrier.

I was thinking maybe you had to use raspberries for this customer but were trying to find something other than chocolate to go with them.

Why does everyone on planet Earth have access to passion fruit puree but me????

Have fun!  Can’t wait for pics!

LOL believe me, I checked at 5 different stores and gave up.  I even checked my local weird-ingredient store, Central Market (kinda like a better Whole Foods) and they didn’t have it either.  Then one day I looked in the freezer section of my local grocery store, where the hispanic foods are, and low and behold, Goya Passion Fruit Puree.  You could always ask your store manager to order them.. I’ve done it before with weird fruits.

Posted: 21 November 2011 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

What if…..

I was looking in my Laduree book and found a Passion fruit Raspberry Tart.  What if I made passion fruit curd AND cloud cream, and layered them as a torte with white chocolate whisper cake and white chocolate buttercream?
OR Passion fruit cloud cream and raspberry puree….

What about THAT….?

1 of 2