2 of 2
White chocolate and Raspberry?
Posted: 22 November 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

passion fruit curd AND cloud cream, and layered them as a torte with white chocolate whisper cake and white chocolate buttercream?

OMG, Option A!  Option A!  And send it to me ... pronto!!!!!!  This is the 4-skinny-layers deal, right?  Bottom two and top two with puree, middle with passion cloud?  Yuuuuuummmmm…....

Posted: 22 November 2011 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Or do you mean raspberry cloud?  Probably also awesome—I’ve never had passion, so I can’t say if they’d work together or not.

Posted: 22 November 2011 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve never had the passion fruit curd either…so can’t say.  I do know the cloud creams are light, flavourful and delicious…but definitely best with a sponge type cake.  I also usually like to limit components to about 3…beyond that flavours can sometimes get confusing or lost…but that’s just my opinion and there are always wonderful combos that work that are more involved.  Things that are sometimes spectacular on their own (aka Chocolate Praline Silk Meringue buttercream for instance) need a great pairing to shine through or else the flavours are not the same. 

Too many wonderful ideas, so perhaps two cakes are in order here!!  I too will be a volunteer tester!

Posted: 22 November 2011 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

I’ve seen a bunch of Passionfruit Rasberry combos, but now I’m skiddish to try it.  I guess I’ll make both and make separate cakes if the flavors are too much.  Thinkin some passion fruit curd, passion fruit cloud cream, raspberry cloud cream and raspberry puree.  This will be epic, lol.

Posted: 22 November 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

If you’ve seen the combo—especially lots of places—I’d go for it!  Whenever I think of a combo I’m unsure of, I look it up, and if it’s around, it always works well!! Go for it if that’s what you’re up for!!!!!

Posted: 23 November 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

Raspberry cloud cream DONE.  Passion fruit cloud cream Done.  White chocolate whisper cakes FAIL. 

I used Bleached All Purpose flour, and replaced 15% with potato starch, according to this article Rose had on here.  It doesn’t seem as light as it should….. I use 2” pans and made 1 1/3 the recipe for them.  They rose to 1 1/4” like they were supposed to, but they still feel kind of dense. 

I don’t know if my flour is very good…. this may have been the problem I was experiencing with the marble cake.  Arghh! I bought a huge bag because I’m going through so much cake flour, and I can’t seem to find bulk cake flour anywhere.  I guess it’s off to the store I go! The day before Thanksgiving shouldn’t be crowded, right?? lol

2 of 2