thickly bubbling
Posted: 22 May 2008 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

Hi, folks-

I’m getting ready to make a cherry rhubarb pie for my husband’s 50th birthday. In the past, the rhubarb has sometimes gotten softer than I would like while I waited for the pie juices to bubble thickly all over. Since the corn starch in this filling is partially cooked ahead of time, could I just take it out of the oven when the crust is golden and the fruit tender but distinct? Iwnat it to be perfect for such an occasion!

Cathy

Posted: 22 May 2008 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I know the “thickly bubbling” part is to make sure that the raw cornstarch (or other starch) in the pie filling is completely cooked. Otherwise it doesn’t thicken enough and you can get a “raw starch” taste. I speak from experience here.

How completely cooked is the filling you’re using? It seems to me that if you already have cooked the starch completely (the fruit part wouldn’t have to be completely cooked), then you probably could get away cooking it less when baking the filled pie. But I haven’t tried it myself. Anyone with actual experience here?

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 22 May 2008 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-23

This is the cherry rhubarb lattice pie from PandPB. The rhubarb, cherries, corn starch, and 1/4 c liquid are brought to a simmer and simmered for 1 minute then cooled for the filling.

Posted: 23 May 2008 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-24

I think the 1 minute simmering should be enough to finish cooking the cornstarch. It cooks pretty fast. Though, as I said, I haven’t tried it myself. Let us know how it turns out!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 25 May 2008 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-23

Well, I made the pies and took them out when the rhubarb was tender, though they were bubbling on the edges but not the center. There was no raw cornstarch flavor, and the filling was quite thick.

In the interests of science, I should note that I didn’t quite follow the recipe. I had more rhubarb than cherries, and the cherries were canned, unsweetened pie cherries. I kept the total weight at 1 lb. per pie. I used the liquid from the can for the extra liquid(1/2 c for the two pies). This may have been less liquid total that the recipe is planned for, because there wasn’t enough filling. Some chunks of raw rhubarb stirred in during pie assembly brought the volume up. These were the chunks that held up best during the baking. They did go from crisp to very tender in 5 minutes.

Anyway, the pies were very well received, and the birthday party was a success. The food was good enough to lure people into staying at the table, enjoying each other’s company for a very pleasant evening.

Cathy

Posted: 25 May 2008 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-24

Good work, Cathy! Isn’t it nice when good food helps encourage an all-around good experience?

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara