High Altitude Baking Question
Posted: 23 November 2011 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-09-20

Hello Everyone, I recently moved to an area with an elevation of about 2030 ft above sea level. I used to live in Miami, FL and never had to adjust recipes for higher altitudes.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice so my cakes and cupcakes come out as they are intended?

Thank you very much!!

Posted: 25 November 2011 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose has a little information on altitude baking adjustments in the Cake Bible, but she recommends the book “Pie in the Sky” by Susan Gold Purdy as an excellent source.

Perhaps others on the forum who bake at altitude may chime in. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 25 November 2011 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

I usually only worry about adjusting for high altitude when over 2500 feet. In TCB she states problems usually start after 3000 feet. My last home was above 3400 I believe (gosh, been a while)  and it was a pain. Rose gives great suggestions for high altitude in her books, namely decreasing leavening and increasing liquid. I found if I did not increase the liquid my cakes ended up dry. She also suggests raising the oven temp by 25 degrees to help the structure set faster. This is very important, and was my #2 complaint. My cakes just would not set right in the middle, and needed prolonged baking times that dried out my cakes. That was complaint #1 hehe. I went psycho for a while researching about high altitude baking tips trying to get it just right and “beat” the location hehe. I eventually did, Rose’s recipes were the key to my success. She suggests adding another egg to a recipe that doesn’t respond favorably to the above changes, as well. She also mentions for butter cakes and pound cakes decreasing the butter if all the aforementioned doesn’t work to your liking. I never got that far, personally. You can find all this in The Cake Bible on pages 21-22. She says for baking over 3000ft decrease baking powder by 1/8tsp and increase liquid by a couple tablespoons at most. That was the biggest key to my success, the liquid. I also went out of my way to preserve the liquid in the recipe, aka, when I had milk waiting in a measured bowl for adding, it was covered in plastic. Same for butter, eggs, etc. Everything plastic wrapped constantly. She makes other suggestions as well but in my opinion since you are only at 2030 they don’t apply to you. In fact, if I were you, I wouldn’t alter recipes until you’ve tried them “as is”, I don’t think your elevation will pose a problem.

If it does, PM me and bookmark this thread! This forum was especially helpful to me when I was figuring all this out smile

Welcome!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 25 November 2011 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Thank you Julie for the reading suggestion. I will definitely look for The Pie in the Sky at my library. grin

Jemoiselle, thank you so much for all your wonderful information. I want to test out a recipe this weekend. If I come across any hick-ups, I will message you. All that you shared is really great advice!

I really appreciate both of your recommendations! Wish me luck.

Thank you again! grin

Posted: 03 December 2011 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-11-17

I live at 8000’ and used to live at 9600’. I would probably agree that high altitude baking starts at 3000’ and above. However, instructions for the necessary modifications for baking at high altitude can be found at http://www.kingarthurflour.com Hope .this helps.  cheese

Posted: 04 December 2011 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Thank you for the post! I made a batch and it came out great. I will definitely check out that site though. New knowledge is always valuable.

Thank you! grin

Posted: 04 December 2011 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-11-17

Glad your baking came out great!  Lee

Posted: 05 December 2011 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Thank you Lee! grin