Flour issue - trying to bake a recipe from Denmark in Georgia, USA
Posted: 25 November 2011 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

A friend from Denmark is trying to bake Danish cookies for her friends she is visiting in Georgia (USA).  I live in New Jersey, she called me, desperate, because her cookies are coming our hard, no spread, and very “floury” tasting.  She is using King Arthur Unbleached flour.  I think European flours are a lesser protein content? 

Would you recommend bleached flour, cake flour or White Lily Flour?

thank you very much.

Posted: 25 November 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2008-09-27
MrsM - 25 November 2011 07:35 PM

She is using King Arthur Unbleached flour.  I think European flours are a lesser protein content?  Would you recommend bleached flour, cake flour or White Lily Flour?
thank you very much.

King Arthur’s Unbleached is 11.7% protein, which is probably the highest of the “All Purpose” variety.  Cake or White Lily might be going too far in the other direction.  I keep on-hand some unbleached cake flour that I mix with KA AP to lower the protein level; my cinnamon muffins are much more tender when I make them with this combination.

I’d try Pillsbury or Gold Medal AP for a happy medium.  And unbleached, always.

(BTW, there are other potential problems with this person’s cookies.  Does she have a scale available to her or is she trying to make do with American volume measurements?  )

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 26 November 2011 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

American butter is very different. Especially from Danish.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”