2 of 2
Any recommended cake decorating turntables?
Posted: 04 May 2011 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17
thecakegoddess - 04 May 2011 05:21 AM

they have a very nice smooth spin to them and are very level and solid, no wobble like some other brands I have tried. If you need a shorter turntable I would reccomend the plastic one from FD. They are made from a more durable, solid, plastic and both have an extremely smooth ball bearing set up, and I like that the base of it has little non-skid feet since it is lighter than the metal one, which has a gasket. I actually have several of the plastic ones that i use for students, and most buy them at the conclusion of classes to take home,even those who already have one from another company,lol. Both of them fit on the tops of buckets to get them up to eye level for borders, which is a must of you wish to save your back. I have put both in the freezer and have not had a lick of problem with them. I have been using them for the past year. The company is very focused on the quality of it’s products, and it shows.

Thank you for your response.  I am baking for only a year.  I think having something at eye level would be a huge help for me, even for leveling batter in the pan.

I’ve seen the FD on Amazon and it does look very sturdy.

Do you think I need the large one or would the smaller one work just as well for me?

Thanks!

Posted: 04 May 2011 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
thecakegoddess - 04 May 2011 05:33 AM

Sorry Flour Girl, I didn’t see that you were asking about the pans,lol. They are a heavier guage aluminum, no seams, and are anodized. With them being thicker it insulates the sides a little more so it bakes more evenly, producing flatter tops. Also with the aondizing I find that cakes release a little better. I know that amazon sells them and there are a lot of reviews from customers on there as well. I also like the wide variety of sizes, including odd number sizes, and shapes, including commas and tiangles. This helps when trying to find size combinations for brides who want a certain amount of servings and a particular look. here is there website if you want to reasearch them. I first discovered them at the ICES convention in Dallas about 4 years ago and have been a fan ever since. I am slowly replacing all of my pans in my bakery with their pans grin
http://www.fatdaddios.com/

I just replaced so many pans with the Parrish line but there are still pans I need so I will try the FD for the next pan I order.

Thanks for the information. 

I am having a problem with my Parrish Magic Line 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans.  For some reason, one particular recipe does not work in them. The author of the recipe does not give specific pan sizes and the recipe always creates extra batter.  I have had much better success with this one recipe in Baker’s Secret pans (which I gave to my daughter and no longer have).  I noticed the FD loaf pan is slightly smaller. I’m wondering if the recipe would be more successful in that pan.

Posted: 05 May 2011 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-05-04

Flour Girl,
It depends on whether this is for a hobby or if you are doing this as a business. If it is for occasional hobby baking then the plastic one would be fine and it costs a lot less, But if you are doing some serious heavy decorating then I would reccomend the metal one and work on having the other as a back up. As for getting the cake to eye level, I put my turntables on a sturdy raised surface when I am doing side work or borders. I had a very wise teacher that taught me to do it that way to save on back problems. Also, another wise investment are PME tips from England. They are stainless and seamless, so they cut down on friction, and as a result cut down on carpel tunnel in the wrists. Again they are an investment since they run @ 3.50 each. I am not sure about your pan question, as I don’t do a lot of baking in loaf pans, but if there was any way to get the measurements from your daughter on the original pan, that should help you in figuring out if the FD pan will work. You can also get a lot of tips from ICES, which is a fabulous organization for decorators and they have chapters worldwide. They have a website too. Good luck and Happy baking! grin

Posted: 05 May 2011 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you so much!

I bake a few times a week but only recently began to use frosting. I usually glaze cakes or make cakes with crumb toppings.

My only purpose for having a turntable is frosting a cake once in a while or checking to make sure batters are level in the pan.

I tried to buy the FD professional turntable but found it backordered on Amazon

My husband is getting this for me for Mother’s Day so we ordered the Ateco 612 instead.

I have read a few reviews from people who received a wobbly turntable.  If that happens to me, I will immediately send it back and wait for the FD turntable.

Thank you for the information and for the information on the ICES website too.

Your help is very appreciated!!

2 of 2