Chang’s Milky Way Tart—Freezable?
Posted: 01 December 2011 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi all….I am not using a Rose recipe, but plan to make Joanne Chang’s Milky Way Tart for one of many Christmas desserts.  The mousse uses 140g milk chocolate and 480g heavy cream—whipped with some other ingredients (flavour).  Can this be frozen?  It definitely has a higher cream content than Rose’s Light Whipped Ganache (not to mention a softer chocolate).  The other components are freezable—this, well, I’m not so sure, but would love to have the tart frozen and just pull out when needed!  Thoughts?

Posted: 01 December 2011 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Sherrie!  To me, that looks definitely freezable.

Posted: 01 December 2011 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Since it’s pretty simple, I may just try a small amount and see how it holds up.  I also have some soft—kitchen disaster—Caramel Silk Meringue Buttercream with added milk chocolate that may work—using half of the buttercream and 1/2 of the mousse so that I could try to stabilize a bit more.  The buttercream is a little rich as a tart filling, and I’d like to make the recipe once as written, ha ha!

Posted: 01 December 2011 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sherrie, not sure about whether that whipped ganache is freezable- in Rose’s white ganache, which is basically whipped cream stabilized with white chocolate, the chocolate equals 39% of the weight of the cream.  In the Milky Way tart, it’s less than that.  If it doesn’t have any starch or gelatin, I’d definitely test freeze a tiny amount. 

You might be able to get it to freeze if you work in some tapioca/cassava starch in the same proportions and manner as the corn starch stabilized whipped cream from the Cake Bible (tapioca starch is freezable, but corn starch is not).  Gelatin should also allow it to freeze.

Sounds delicious! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 December 2011 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Sherrie, I can’t comment on the freezability but I think it would be great served frozen! I’ve made this tart and it really is delicious (and not too sweet), but if you do make it as per the recipe and choose not to freeze it, allow a much longer chilling time than the recommended 30 minutes as the filling is quite loose (overnight would be best).

Posted: 02 December 2011 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

Sorry I can’t help about the freezing question, but I made this tart and it is delicious.  I had a spread of nine or ten desserts for Rosh Hashanah and this was one of them.  I couldn’t believe how fast it was gone!  Literally, it took less than five minutes before there was nothing left.  Good thing my husband fought the crowd and got me a piece to eat later!  Have fun making it!

Posted: 02 December 2011 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Well, I am going to have to make this after the great reviews of it!  Thanks avivaleah and Sophia for posting about it.  Julie, I will have to try your stabilizing method using the tapioca starch—I love whipped cream as a “frosting” and it would be great to be able to just pop a ready made dessert in the freezer and remove with no worries or issues!

Posted: 03 December 2011 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Sherrie—Sorry for my overly-hasty freezing reply.  I misread your post as it had LESS cream than LWG !!! So sorry!!!

That thing sounds amazing, though!