Success! (If I could make the smiley dance, I would)
This is of great interest to me, Sophia, as I have had mixed results with the genoise. I too, often have a very cool kitchen—so I’m now keeping a cooking journal so I can look for patterns to my failures, ha ha (and record the successes too, of course!). I have plans to make the triple chocolate cake for Christmas, this year, and hope it turns out (sometimes it works, other times not!). It’s been ages since I made a true genoise! I feel that I may be out of practice. I recall that the chocolate mixture took much longer to cook than quoted in the recipe. Wish you the best and I will be checking back for responses on this one!
Sherrie, that’s the cake that I’m trying to make based on all of the recommendations I received when I was working on my “Ferrero Rocher” cakes. I’m making a 6” to use up the leftover whipped chocolate ganache from that last project. (I may be back tomorrow with questions about tempering chocolate .)
I think a cooking journal is an excellent idea. I tried to be a little more scientific in my approach this time and took a few notes in case I ever wanted to try this cake again.
There were a lot of variables that may have affected my first attempt, some of which I couldn’t control with my second effort. eg my kitchen was 70F for the second try, but I do believe I overcooked the chocolate mixture the first time. This time, I removed it from the heat after 4 min 30sec of simmering. I weighed the mixture when it first started to boil, at 1 min intervals and when I removed it from the heat. I thought if I were successful, at least I would have a weight (measure of evaporation?) to refer to in future. I had weighed the batter of my first batch when I divided it between my pans. The successful batch weighed almost 4% more. Assuming I measured everything else the same way, I can’t think of where else the weight might have been lost except through evaporation/overcooking of the chocolate.
It was much easier to incorporate the flour this second time and the mixture did more closely resemble the photos on the blog once the egg foam was added. I also improved my timing: the chocolate/flour mixture had to wait for the egg foam this time.
I think a second issue I had with the first batch was allowing the egg foam to sit. I didn’t realize just how much it changed in the 10minutes of waiting until I saw and worked with my second foam. The first batch had started to separate into layers: foamy, airy top, creamy bottom. And as Matthew mentioned, I added more foam than I should have to the chocolate, eliminating whatever volume I had beaten into that portion.
This won’t help you, but I usually make the regular chocolate genoise and add a chocolate soaking syrup. My last one filled 9/10 of the 2” pan height when I poured in the batter; the only reason I mention this is that I add the flour and butter/chocolate while the mixer is on 1st speed (fold), which avoids the most challenging part of making a genoise, the folding.
CharlesT, I was thinking of your post when I was preparing my mis en place for my second attempt so I made a batch of beurre noisette as well…...just in case Your method sounds very intriguing. What was the height of the finished cake?
I should video making this once so that the process will be more detailed.
Matthew, I think that’s a fabulous idea! I think a visual would be extremely helpful. I, for one, was really thrown by the pudding-like/porridge-like consistency description. The chocolate mixture of my successful batch was much thinner than any pudding I’ve ever had…if anything, it resembled a curd mixture that’s pourable but still able to mound on the surface.
although personally I have found this method easier than the original. At any rate, I can promise you it does work, however perhaps it is trickier instead of simpler!
Not having tried the original method, I can’t comment on whether or not it’s easier, but it certainly does appear to reduce the risk of deflating the egg foam when combining the ingredients (provided you do the first few steps correctly )and, of course, eliminates those pesky flour pellets!
Thank you everyone, for your input!