1 of 2
Hard Decision - Which Rose book to get…?
Posted: 08 December 2011 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-12-08

Good afternoon =)

I am new to the Forum, but have been getting Rose’s emails for about a year.  I LOVE to bake, but am a novice.  I like to try new recipes and techniques - some work, some don’t.  Santa (AKA: Mom) was asking what I wanted for Christmas and I was thinking that I’d love to have a Rose cookbook. 

Which book do you recommend for my skill level?  One that teaches basic baking principles, techniques and possibly with increasingly sophisticated recipes?  I looked through her catalog (here on the site) and I don’t really want to have to choose between bread, cakes, cookies or pies.  Can’t I have them all?? 

I really want to learn so I can troubleshoot my own mistakes, change recipes without dooming them and be more creative with my oven.  Any suggestions?

(Rose - please look away)
I’m also open to any other books that would fill in my knowledge gap if there’s a “must-have” out there by someone else…

Thank you!!!
Dena

Posted: 08 December 2011 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Hi Dena welcome.
I prefer savory so I would start with ‘Bread Bible’. If you prefer desert then ‘Cake Bible’. You can’t go wrong with either one if you have to choose just one but I think the two together would be a great foundation for any kitchen library.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 08 December 2011 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

The books I have found most valuable have been The Pie and Pastry Bible and The Bread Bible as I love baking bread, but I had a difficult time with pastry and TPAPB is what taught me how to make a fabulous pastry.  I think Rose’s cookbooks are fabulous for novice bakers because they entirely eliminate the ambiguity of “lesser” recipes—they do look intimidating at first (long recipes with lots of detail) but that is what makes her recipes so excellent.  I think the book you are after won’t be out until 2015—pick a passion/theme and go with it—you won’t be dissappointed with any of her books.

Posted: 08 December 2011 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I LOVE the Cake Bible.  I return to it again and again.  The fact that she states how long each recipe will last at room temp, refridgerated, and the quantity it makes is super helpful.  I also have the Pie and Pastry bible which is also good.

Posted: 08 December 2011 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1152
Joined  2009-11-24

I knew even with a few responses you would get differing responses.  I know of no other cookbook that comes with free online support.  That is what this forum is - a support group for any questions, problems, or ideas you have.  That is value-add when you get a Rose book. 

Like ModernCake, I love the details of keeping room temp and refrigerated in The Cake Bible. 
Like Sherrie, you may just choose a passion and go with it.  The books are so good you cannot go wrong with any of them

Gene’s point was great also. 

So this is a tough question.  I love having all the photos offered in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. 
But I love all of the detail in The Cake Bible.  I go to it often for recipes and references.  The Cake Bible shows you how to scale to make a white, yellow, or chocolate cake of any size.  And, You get all kinds of frostings/buttercreams and fillings….. And, there are all sorts of cake related instructions.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 08 December 2011 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

You might consider her cookie book- Rose’s Christmas Cookies- it has mini versions of some of her more famous pies (pecan tassies) and cakes (cheesecakes, chocolate madelines), and there is a lot that is easy, yet delicious.

After that you’ll be ready for the three “Bibles”!

You can get nearly any of her books from the Library, often through inter-library loan.

And whichever you end up with, feel free to check back in for recommendations and questions, we enjoy helping. smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 09 December 2011 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

Baking bread can take a long time (from start to taste). I’m not sure that is a good thing for a beginner, imho. Beginners need quick feedback in order to gain confidence to later tackle things that require more patience, time, etc.

I’d recommend either the Pie and Pastry Bible or the Cake Bible, depending on whether you enjoy pies or cakes more. If you’d love to learn to make eclairs (they are easy enough for a beginner), get the Pie and Pastry Bible. If you like layer cakes more, get the Cake Bible. Rose has some recipes from both books posted here for free, try some and decide.

Posted: 09 December 2011 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

My pick is the cake bible—but I only have it and RHC.  The Cake Bible has a section on things like pancakes and other breakfast items, so it has a bread aspect to it.  Also, the certain of the frostings (light whipped ganache, for example), can be served as mousse, and certain cake and cheesecakes have cookie crusts, so there’s a few cookie-type things in there.

Posted: 21 December 2011 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-11-14
Anne in NC - 09 December 2011 02:11 PM

My pick is the cake bible—but I only have it and RHC.  The Cake Bible has a section on things like pancakes and other breakfast items, so it has a bread aspect to it.  Also, the certain of the frostings (light whipped ganache, for example), can be served as mousse, and certain cake and cheesecakes have cookie crusts, so there’s a few cookie-type things in there.

I choose the same ones. The Cake Bible will teach you all you need to know about baking cakes. You can’t go wrong by choosing it first.

Posted: 21 December 2011 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

I’m going to go against the crowd and say to start with Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. That was the book I started with. You won’t be baking everything in the book at first but there are a lot of easy cakes and there are pictures so you will know what the end result should be. 

I purchased The Cake Bible a while after I owned RHC.  Now I want to own everything Rose publishes but my go-to book is still RHC.

Good luck and remember, we are all here to help, should you need it.

Posted: 21 December 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

FG does have a good point—seeing the huge pictures with the recipes is very inspirational!!!  I actually got RHC before TCB, as well, and even though in some ways I prefer TCB, I think what I learned in RHC helped me to appreciate it.  I’d say the difference between the books is this (if you’re thinking of going for cakes): 

TCB is, more or less, separated by cakes, frostings (with flavor variations), fillingls, embelleshments, etc., and you take the pieces to create your own cakes based on the flavors you’re looking for—except that there is a section of color pictures of cakes, and a section that lists the coponents for each (with pagfe references) and how to assemble.  Also, it has a nice section on breakfast-type items like pancakes, waffles, and such. 

RHC uses some of the components in TCB (and some new ones) to create lots of wonderful cakes, but every recipe is an entire cake with all of its components, and 90% of them are accmpanied by a beautiful picture. 

Once you havce both books, you can cross reference—i.e., this RHC cake is used by making this “cake part” from TCB, this frosting variation from TCB, etc.—except, like I say, there are items in each book that you won’t find in the other, so neither is redundant.

They are both indispensible!!!!  Also, FWIW, both RHC and the Pie & Pastry Bible have Kindle editions.  I think the RHC Kindle edition has video, but you can see the videos here on Rose’s site and on YouTube.

Posted: 22 December 2011 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

You can’t go wrong with any of Rose’s books (I own 6 of them).

TCB was her 1st book that I owned, but I never really got into it. The book scares me at the beginning, as I have no experience in baking and I feel overwhelmed. Then I joined a baking club that baked through RHC. And only after I started baking from RHC I went back to the Cake Bible and started baking from it.

If I have to choose 1 book I would choose RHC. I love books with pictures and almost all the cakes in there has pictures.

If you have access to a library you can always check out if they have a copy. Then you can figure out which one you want to buy before actually buying it.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Keep in mind also that we are here to help you if you have any questions!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 22 December 2011 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I have been converted to the RHC camp by FG’s and Jenn’s excellent arguments in its favor.  I’ll also add that RHC updates a few of the techniques and ingredients from TCB.  That said, I still think I like TCB a bit better, but I think it comes from having some experience, like Jenn said, from RHC.  Also, like Jenn said, the first time I saw TCB—before I had RHC—I also felt a bit overwhelmed.  It’s amazing how quickly RHC “acclimates” you to baking and immediately makes you feel more comfortable in the world!!!

Posted: 23 December 2011 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1152
Joined  2009-11-24
Jenn - 22 December 2011 04:45 PM

You can’t go wrong with any of Rose’s books (I own 6 of them).

TCB was her 1st book that I owned, but I never really got into it. The book scares me at the beginning, as I have no experience in baking and I feel overwhelmed. Then I joined a baking club that baked through RHC. And only after I started baking from RHC I went back to the Cake Bible and started baking from it.

If I have to choose 1 book I would choose RHC. I love books with pictures and almost all the cakes in there has pictures.

If you have access to a library you can always check out if they have a copy. Then you can figure out which one you want to buy before actually buying it.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Keep in mind also that we are here to help you if you have any questions!

I did not bake from TCB as much until I had RHC (and this forum).  I like that RHC has all the components of the entire cake together.  That said, I have been looking at the Pie and Pastry Bible lately.  I did not know how rich it was.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 23 December 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I’ve baked more from RHC than the cake bible. I think I got them about the same time, but it’s easier at this point to go with RHC as I have 2-inch cake pans, and don’t have to make calculations (and I absolutely love most of those cakes I have made from RHC). I do want to try to do much more from the Cake Bible, however. I started, however, with the Bread Bible, I just got the cake and pie books after I got to know more about Rose. The pies I have made from the Pie and Pastry Bible are among the best I’ve ever tasted: Pecan, Pumpkin, Apple, and Lemon Meringue. But, as others have said, it’s hard to go wrong.

Posted: 25 December 2011 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-12-23

The only book of Rose’s that I have is RHC.  It is very informative, filled with gorgeous photos and I love how she explains the importance of each ingredient, equipment, etc. and even sites sources of ingredients, etc.  I want to get The Cake Bible as well—some of her cakes in RHC are from TCB and I’ve read that this book is a must-have in a baker’s library.  I’m also pie and pastry challenged and will get her pie and pastry bible as well and see what great pies I could come up with!

Signature 

http://thekitchenismyshrink.blogspot.com/

1 of 2

‹‹ Daisy Cake pan!!!????      Grrrrr ››