Gingerbread
Posted: 08 December 2011 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-08

Hi, I’m new here. I’m not a huge baker but I’m a better baker than a cook!

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to try gingerbread houses. I wanted to do a vegan recipe (even though I’m not vegan). However, I didn’t want to use margarine or egg replacer, which was what most vegan recipes were calling for. I decided on this recipe. http://www.vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=1243&catId=2 

Instead of margarine, I used real butter, and rice milk instead of soymilk. I have allergies to a lot of things, so I was apprehensive about the soymilk.

I knew when I added the vanilla and rice milk that something was amiss. I chilled the batter for a few hours, then tried to roll it out, but it was still pretty wet. I baked four cookies and they pretty much spread out on the cookie sheet and I don’t think they’re edible.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

Posted: 09 December 2011 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Try adding a little bit of all purpose flour to give the dough more structure.

If you do not need to use a vegan recipe for dietary or other reasons, use the recipe in The Christmas Cookie Book; it’s wonderful and can work beautifully for houses.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 26 April 2012 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-26

well said jeanne!

Signature 

Dannychows

Posted: 26 April 2012 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17
Spider Whisperer - 09 December 2011 03:49 AM

Hi, I’m new here. I’m not a huge baker but I’m a better baker than a cook!

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to try gingerbread houses. I wanted to do a vegan recipe (even though I’m not vegan). However, I didn’t want to use margarine or egg replacer, which was what most vegan recipes were calling for. I decided on this recipe. http://www.vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=1243&catId=2 

Instead of margarine, I used real butter, and rice milk instead of soymilk. I have allergies to a lot of things, so I was apprehensive about the soymilk.

I knew when I added the vanilla and rice milk that something was amiss. I chilled the batter for a few hours, then tried to roll it out, but it was still pretty wet. I baked four cookies and they pretty much spread out on the cookie sheet and I don’t think they’re edible.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

Instead of rice milk, you can try almond or coconut milk.

Posted: 26 October 2012 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

What this site have connection with Rose?

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway