Foie Gras
Posted: 09 December 2011 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27

What’s the best bread to eat foie gras with?  I’m told by a French person it should be sweeter than regular bread.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 10 December 2011 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

From ‘The New Making of a Cook’. Madeleine Kamman has an exposition on foi gras. Her suggested pairing is her recipe for classic French bread. She even stresses in the pairing that the bread is unsweetened. I am at a loss to imagine what French bread your acquaintance has in mind. Sweet Frrench recipes tend to be high fat. Why would one pair extra fat goose liver with such? There are as many ways to eat French food as there are Frenchmen. I think you are on firm culinary ground to serve it to your own preference.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 10 December 2011 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m with Gene on this one, go with your own preference.  For what it’s worth, the Flavor Bible lists plenty of fruit (apples, cherries, figs, grapes, stone fruit), plus sugar (only a dash), as good pairings with foie gras.  It also lists plenty of acids- basalmic, et al, so perhaps an overnight in the fridge might be appropriate smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 10 December 2011 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 10 December 2011 06:42 AM

Why would one pair extra fat goose liver with such?

That was my thought, too, Gene, particularly since one of her suggestions was brioche.  I thought if I went this route, I’d try to make the lowest fat brioche possible.  Her other suggestion was Hawaiian bread, which I think is essentially the same as Portuguese Sweet Bread.  Reinhart’s recipe for the latter includes lemon and orange flavorings, which I suspect would be lousy with foie gras.

I’ve never had foie gras, so I don’t have any personal preferences.

Thanks!

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 10 December 2011 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 11 December 2011 01:18 AM

I’m with Gene on this one, go with your own preference.  For what it’s worth, the Flavor Bible lists plenty of fruit (apples, cherries, figs, grapes, stone fruit), plus sugar (only a dash), as good pairings with foie gras.  It also lists plenty of acids- basalmic, et al, so perhaps an overnight in the fridge might be appropriate smile

Flavor Bible, great thought!  I just bought that for my Kindle last week.  When my friend said that “we” eat foie gras is this certain way, I gathered she was speaking for all the French.  Appears not!  I guess if your own family does something one particular way, you tend to assume that everyone else does too.

Thank you

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 December 2011 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

If you get a chance I would recommend Kamman’s section on foi gras. She has some nice comments about the history and good information on selecting and preparing. I am not a great fan myself but it appears from her instruction that not all foi gras is created equal.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 11 December 2011 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 11 December 2011 04:45 AM

If you get a chance I would recommend Kamman’s section on foi gras. She has some nice comments about the history and good information on selecting and preparing. I am not a great fan myself but it appears from her instruction that not all foi gras is created equal.

I’ll take a look at that, thanks Gene.  I’m sorta skeptical that I’ll like it much…my perceptions are highly influence by knowing what something is.  wink

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach