Yellow butter or Vanilla White Cake?
Posted: 10 December 2011 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hello Everyone!
It has been a long time since i have logged in and seen all the wonderful creations!
I was asked to make a cake for a baby shower - the only people who know the sex of the baby are the parents and myself.
I am supposed to reveal the sex of the baby with the color of the inside of the cake - pink for a girl (it is a girl)
I am torn on making either a butter cake or a white cake.
The inside will have real strawberries and Bavarian cream.  The outside of the cake will be topped with Rose’s whipped cream.
Will the butter cake be to heavy or will the white cake not have much flavor?
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Posted: 10 December 2011 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

Either would be fine; with a white cake you could add a little strawberry flavoring or liquor if you were afraid of it being too bland and it would color easier than a yellow cake.

Colleen

Posted: 10 December 2011 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I’d go for butter cake.  I don’t think it will be too heavy all.  The strawberries and the whipped cream will give it a strawberry shortcake feel, and the bavarian cream will give it a nice bit of richness.

It sounds wonderful!!!

It sounds like it’s a girl!

I wonder if they would still reveal the gender of the baby with the inside of the cake if it were a boy?

Posted: 11 December 2011 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-07-12

This weekend I made the White velvet cupcakes and the 9 inch layer cake.  I posted something about this in another thread.  I ended up filling the cupcakes and the layer cake with the creamy dreamy white choc. frosting that was combined with the raspberry sauce.  Very pink and pretty tasty; most important, my family gave it good reviews.  The white velvet cake is a butter cake but was very white and not heavy at all.  I think it had a nice crumb.

I hope this gives you some thoughts about your own project.  Will there be drum rolls of some sort before the cake is cut?  Should be fun.

I suppose if it was a boy a pale blue filling with a blueberry sauce might work…I’ll have to keep this in mind should I ever be a grandmother!

Posted: 27 December 2011 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-27

As far as i know both are really good. You could go with any one or else try classic white cake with buttercream frosting.

Signature 

vegitarian recipes

Posted: 28 December 2011 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 11 December 2011 02:55 AM

I’d go for butter cake.  I don’t think it will be too heavy all.  The strawberries and the whipped cream will give it a strawberry shortcake feel, and the bavarian cream will give it a nice bit of richness.

It sounds wonderful!!!

It sounds like it’s a girl!

I wonder if they would still reveal the gender of the baby with the inside of the cake if it were a boy?

Ha ha .... then it would have to be blueberry smile

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.