Undercooked fruit cake - rescue/help
Posted: 11 December 2011 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-11-18

I have just baked a number of fruit cakes, and tested with a cake skewer for ‘doneness’, however,now that they are cooled I can see that they are under baked in the centre. I need to give these as Christmas gifts. Does anyone know if I can put them back in the oven once they have cooked, to finish the baking off. The recipe only has plain flour (no raising agent), four (4) eggs and butter, along with the fruit and alcohol.

If not, any suggestions for how I might use the cakes to salvage what I can? I am looking for a recipe other than mini fruit puddings (covered with chocolate), as with the amount of cakes I have, there would be enough mini puddings for two years!

I would REALLY appreciate any help or advice anyone can give.

Thanks, and happy holidays….

Signature 

Ms Onironi wink

Posted: 11 December 2011 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi!

I’m not sure about rebaking—you could try one, but it would be experimental. Especially if they’ve been out of the oven while.

On the rescuel side. you could could cut off the cooked parts and then stamp out rounds with biscuit cutters—you can get them in all sizes—I have one that’s about 1-1/4” that would make cute fruit cake minis.

Wrap them in pastic wrap and put a tiny bow on each.  Or put several in a candy box nestled in pretty Christmas grass.

I am currently rescuing some of my own Christmas stuff today, so I know where you come from!!!!!!

—ak

Posted: 11 December 2011 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-11-18

That is a fantastic idea!! That will make lovely little christmas gifts. Thank you very much smile

Signature 

Ms Onironi wink

Posted: 11 December 2011 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
onironi - 11 December 2011 11:12 PM

That is a fantastic idea!! That will make lovely little christmas gifts. Thank you very much smile

I have successfully rebaked before, but I added a simple syrup to the cake to compensate for any increased dryness.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach