1 of 3
December Holiday Baking Bake Off
Posted: 13 December 2011 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1092
Joined  2009-05-26

Allow me to start our December Holiday Baking Bake Off smile.

I am partially cheating here. The Panettone was made last month. It’s from the Bread Bible. And it is so good!!! Time consuming, as all good breads are, but the result are so worth it.

Image Attachments
panettone RLB.jpgpanettone RLB-2.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 December 2011 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

I made Rose’s Pecan Pie from PPB last weekend. Since this is just for myself, I made 2/3 recipe in a 6 inch tart pan (I think it’s 6 inch). I’ve made this pie before but it was a while ago and I seem to forget how good it is. No modification to the recipe. And I was happy to use my stash of lyle’s golden syrup. YUM!

Image Attachments
pecan pie.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 13 December 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24
Jenn - 13 December 2011 05:06 PM

Allow me to start our December Holiday Baking Bake Off smile.

I am partially cheating here. The Panettone was made last month. It’s from the Bread Bible. And it is so good!!! Time consuming, as all good breads are, but the result are so worth it.

Ooohhh that looks so good.  I will be brave enough to try one day.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 13 December 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Jenn - 13 December 2011 05:09 PM

I made Rose’s Pecan Pie from PPB last weekend. Since this is just for myself, I made 2/3 recipe in a 6 inch tart pan (I think it’s 6 inch). I’ve made this pie before but it was a while ago and I seem to forget how good it is. No modification to the recipe. And I was happy to use my stash of lyle’s golden syrup. YUM!

This looks very professional and perfect!.

Signature 

Posted: 14 December 2011 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Oooo, so yummy!  Jenn, you do take great photos- the cropped close up of the pecan pie is wonderful, and the crumb shot of the panettone really conjurs up in my mind the flavor of this bread.  And I’m so impressed that you’ve got some holiday baking to show- mine is still on my to-do list!

I think it’s funny that you categorize breads as time-consuming- I think of them as much faster (less time actively making the bread) and eaiser than most sweet baking.  With all those rising periods, there’s plenty of time to do other stuff, and when you’re done, you’re done- there’s no moving on to frosting, syrup, decorations, etc.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 14 December 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2011-02-17

They both look scrumptious.

Posted: 14 December 2011 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks CRenee! The panettone is really good. Though I said it’s time-consuming but it is not hard at all.

Julie, thanks for your kind words about the pecan pie photo. It was taken in a hurry yesterday morning before going to work. I took 6 pictures and this is the best one.

I usually don’t think of bread as time-consuming for the reasons that you mentioned.
I don’t mind if it has several steps that I have to do in multiple days as long as they don’t take too much time. But this panettone requires quite a bit of work (room temperature fermentation for several hours, several steps of mixing time and resting, and then it has to be refrigerated for several hours or up to 3 days). Not to mention the slow rise - it took almost 3 hours to rise on baking day. I am having difficulty planning it out during regular weekend as I only have Sunday to play in the kitchen smile.

But I am wondering if I could do all the steps for the dough one weekend. Then freeze it and thaw it the weekend after for final rising and baking? Would that work? Do I need to up the yeast amount?

Signature 

Posted: 15 December 2011 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Jenn - 14 December 2011 05:22 PM

But I am wondering if I could do all the steps for the dough one weekend. Then freeze it and thaw it the weekend after for final rising and baking? Would that work? Do I need to up the yeast amount?

Somewhere in the Bread Bible (probably in the first section on basics), it says that freezing will kill about 25% of the yeast.  So if you’re going to freeze, you may want to increase the yeast accordingly, or else allow for a very slow rise.  I would probably allow for a longer rise, as this bread is already very yeasty in flavor, brioche has a relatively high proportion of yeast.

You could also try (I haven’t done this but Roland Mesnier makes his brioche this way) mixing the dough by the straight method (skip the sponge) on Sat night early in the evening, let it rise only to 1.5x, then put it into the fridge to finish rising and begin chilling (make sure it’s covered tightly in the fridge, in case it rises out of the container).  Later in the evening give it two business letter turns, then put it into the fridge overnight. 

Shape and final proof next morning, but it will take a long time if you don’t do anything to raise the temp of the proofing environment.  The theory says that if it takes 2 hours at 80F, it will take double that amount of time at 65F.

Please report back on your results, especially if you try freezing- I’m curious to see what happens smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 20 December 2011 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

More Christmas baking from me.

These are Chocolate Madeleines from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. It is very good. Denser than regular madeleines because of the chocolates but very tasty. It is very easy to make, like regular madeleines, except you add melted chocolate at the end.

Image Attachments
Chocolate Madeleines.jpgChocolate Madeleines-4.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2011 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

How nice! smile  Love the picture of the silver tray and coffee, wish I had that in front of me now!

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2011 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Very nice..  I am glad I saw this after leaving cake supply shop or I would have been buying another plan.  Now your photo is fab as usual and really makes me want to try.

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2011 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Okay - Here is my second German Chocolate Cake From RHC.  Actually, I used Trisha Yearwoods Filling and Rose’s cake.  The first time I made GCC, the filling was really thick—“congealed” was the word someone used.  This frosting was the opposite so I made more custard to thicken it up.  The filling is delicious!!! I will not get to see a slice.  I made an 8” deep choc passion (minus lacquer) so I made extra ganache to cover this cake.  I took a photo of the GCC with my phone so as not to run out tomorrow morning and not have time.  You can see filling in the ganache…..I just decided to go with that (as if on purpose).  wink

Image Attachments
GerChoc2011-12-20_21Web.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2011 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Jenn—Your madelines look like little kitty paws—very cute, indeed.

Renee—How do you compare flavor of TY frosting with Rose’s?  I am always curious.  Baked has a GCC cake, too, so I’m always wanting to try two side-by-side.  In any event, it looks fab.  Don’t you hate it when you don’t get to try any????

Posted: 21 December 2011 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2011-10-15

Jenn, yeast bread, pie, madeleines…...you’ve been very busy and everything looks wonderful. I’m definitely experiencing madeleine pan envy because of your pretty cakes!

CRenee, your German Chocolate Cake looks delicious…I love the look of the topping drizzled on the side of the cake.

Posted: 21 December 2011 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Jenn - 20 December 2011 09:06 PM

More Christmas baking from me.

These are Chocolate Madeleines from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. It is very good. Denser than regular madeleines because of the chocolates but very tasty. It is very easy to make, like regular madeleines, except you add melted chocolate at the end.

Yum! They look like they have an incredible texture.  Those are the kind of cookies I love. Beautiful Jenn.

Posted: 21 December 2011 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 21 December 2011 02:45 AM

Okay - Here is my second German Chocolate Cake From RHC.  Actually, I used Trisha Yearwoods Filling and Rose’s cake.  The first time I made GCC, the filling was really thick—“congealed” was the word someone used.  This frosting was the opposite so I made more custard to thicken it up.  The filling is delicious!!! I will not get to see a slice.  I made an 8” deep choc passion (minus lacquer) so I made extra ganache to cover this cake.  I took a photo of the GCC with my phone so as not to run out tomorrow morning and not have time.  You can see filling in the ganache…..I just decided to go with that (as if on purpose).  wink

Wow! You are making me so hungry. Beautiful cake.

1 of 3