2 of 3
December Holiday Baking Bake Off
Posted: 21 December 2011 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1152
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 21 December 2011 03:05 AM

Jenn—Your madelines look like little kitty paws—very cute, indeed.

Renee—How do you compare flavor of TY frosting with Rose’s?  I am always curious.  Baked has a GCC cake, too, so I’m always wanting to try two side-by-side.  In any event, it looks fab.  Don’t you hate it when you don’t get to try any????

I think it was 2009 when I baked the German Chocolate.  I do not remember the taste….I intend to try it again but using a double boiler next time.  I have some filling left so I will serve this cake for Christmas.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 December 2011 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

CRenee, your german chocolate cakes looks yummy !

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 25 December 2011 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2011-10-15

In addition to the dozens of cookies I’ve baked in the last few weeks (unfortunately, none of them Rose’s as I don’t have her cookie book), I did some baking for some parties this weekend.

For Christmas Eve, my baking contribution to a potluck was a vanilla bean cake (TCB white velvet butter cake with added vanilla bean paste) with passion fruit mousseline. I hesitated initially in making a cake with a tropical flavour for December, but was happy with my choice in the end as it stood out as the only non-chocolate dessert on the table and was gone in no time!

For the family dinner today, I made a Buche de Noel for the first time. The cake is the chocolate cloud roll from TCB, filled with dulce de leche whipped cream (RHC), frosted with light whipped ganache (TCB) and garnished with meringue mushrooms (TCB). Word of advice - don’t use pasteurized egg whites for this kind of meringue (I just wanted to finish the carton!); it doesn’t have the same body as unpasteurized so the mushroom caps and stems spread a little. Despite the squat mushrooms smile , the cake was a huge success.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

Image Attachments
vanilla_passion_fruit.jpgbuche_de_noel.jpg

Posted: 25 December 2011 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow, Sophia, you are some kind of piping genius.  Your piping is so loose, yet so perfect—almost like a fabulous spray of flowers meticulously and perfectly arranged to look like they don’t care.  What I mean is, your piping is fluffy and casual, but gorgeous.  Anyway, beautiful stuff.

Thanks for the details on the contents of the Buche—I never looked at it that closely, and now it interests me.  Also, thanks for the hint on the egg whites.

Glad to hear your cake was quickly consumed—always so gratifying!!!

—ak

Posted: 26 December 2011 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, Anne…...I do love my Wilton 1M tip, I find that it’s very forgiving smile

Apart from the cloud roll and the mushrooms, my Buche is actually made of different elements from Rose’s….one of the beauties of TCB - you can mix and match recipes to suit your taste.

Posted: 26 December 2011 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Your cake is gorgeous Sophia and the log looks fabulous.

Posted: 26 December 2011 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, Sophia, those are gorgeous!  The sides on your passionfruit cake are picture-perfect, and your yule log is wonderful!  I’ll be the combo of chocolate cloud roll with dulce de leche was delicious.

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2011 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow, Sophia, your combo sounds unbeatable!!!

Posted: 27 December 2011 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

Those look great! You’re right about TCB, and that’s what I love about it… you can mix and match recipes to create something that is truly unique and your own.

Posted: 27 December 2011 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, Flour Girl, Julie, BakerJD.

Julie, Anne, the dulce de leche filling worked really well, complementing but also lessening the intensity of the chocolate cake and ganache.

Posted: 28 December 2011 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1152
Joined  2009-11-24

Yes, Sophia, that is beautiful piping on the Passion Fruit cake.  The Buche de Noel is pretty also….I have never heard of meringue mushrooms.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 28 December 2011 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Thank you, CRenee.

I don’t know where else you’d use a mushroom garnish except with a Buche de Noel smile; I didn’t know TCB had a recipe until I decided to make this for Christmas and started researching - I don’t think I’d even ventured into that chapter before! I noticed that marzipan is often used but the meringues seemed easier and Rose’s recipe is among the easiest.

Posted: 07 January 2012 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Jenn, Renee and Sophia- all your treats look so yummy!

For my holiday baking I got to make several of Rose’s cakes.

I did the White Spice Pound cake from TCB. The party I took it to was the night I flew home, so I actually made it here in Hong Kong and took it in my carry on grin I’ve made it a few times now and just love the flavor. I didn’t get a picture of this one.

Then my niece and nephew wanted to bake a cake. We made the Double Vanilla Pound Cake from TCB. It was so much fun! They hadn’t baked using weight measurements before and thought measuring everything out was a lot of fun. They alternated measuring each ingredient. Their pound cake was extra delicious cheese

For our family’s Christmas Eve get together I made the White Chocolate Whisper from TCB. I baked the full two layer recipe, torted them and filled it with Chocolate Praline Silk Meringue Buttercream and frosted it with Praline Silk Meringue Buttercream. I did a chocolate tree band and dressed it up with (pseudo) spun sugar. For the praline buttercream I found praline paste on Amazon. When I tasted it ahead of time it did not have any burnt sugar notes. It just tasted like sweetened hazelnut paste. So I picked up some unsweetened caramel essence to add. I made a reduced sugar Caramel Silk Meringue base and added the essence. Then divided the batch and added chocolate to half. This cake was really rich, which was great for a gathering because it could be served in small slices. There were no leftovers and I didn’t get a picture of the slice. I’m a fan of the flavor combination and would make it again. I found the Praline Buttercream pretty strong on it’s own, but it melded quite well with the cake and the Chocolate Praline filling. I wasn’t where I could actually “spin” the sugar. Not everyone gets all that excited about the idea of you flinging hot sugar in their kitchen… So I put a cookie sheet covered in greased parchment on the floor and stood on top of a 5 gallon bucket, held the forks over my head and let the strands drop. It worked pretty well, though the strands tended to be a bit thick. It turned out pretty!

My Aunt’s birthday is the day after Christmas. My sweet cousin requested a cake for her. I made the All Occasion Downy Butter Yellow Cake from TCB. Two layers, torted and filled with Raspberry Silk Meringue Buttercream and frosted with Vanilla Silk Meringue Buttercream. I didn’t get to see this cake cut- the scraps from leveling were yummy! I’m a fan of these Silk Meringue Frostings. They taste like ice cream/frozen custard flavors to me. So good!

Finally, I made the Cinnamon Crumb Surprise from TBB. No pictures of this one either, but everyone loved it. It’s very similar (if not the same scaled for a loaf pan) to the Coffee Cake in TCB, which we love. My honey’s mom and I both received TBB and this was a nice recipe for us to try out together. We were at her house and she doesn’t bake by weight, so it was the first Rose recipe I’ve made using volume measurements. I was a little leery-my baking is so much more successful now that I weigh everything!- but it turned out great.

My Santas were very good to me and completed my “Rose Library”. I’m now the very happy owner of all of Rose’s baking books and looking forward to trying more of her wonderful recipes!

Image Attachments
DSC_0526.jpegDSC_0432.jpgDSC_0519.jpg

Posted: 07 January 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15

Georgie, your cakes are gorgeous and the flavours, especially the combinations you used in the layer cakes sound so delicious. (I’m a huge fan of the SMBC as well).  I especially love the chocolate xmas tree band - ingenious and so appropriate for the season - and the frosting design you used on your aunt’s birthday cake is just beautiful!

Posted: 07 January 2012 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Wowie wow wow, those are beautiful!  I love how you made the chocolate band out of swirly trees, and the spun sugar is perfect.  smile

Signature 

2 of 3