helppppp
Posted: 19 December 2011 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-12-19

hello all my name is huston and im very pasionate about baking and everyone loves my cakes one problem i see i have is my cakes always come out too tender really moist and soft and when you slice into them the texure seems to be crumbly instead of a clean solid cut what am im doing wrong ???? i do used cake florur but i didnt think that should matter

Posted: 19 December 2011 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
husbevjr - 19 December 2011 03:37 PM

hello all my name is huston and im very pasionate about baking and everyone loves my cakes one problem i see i have is my cakes always come out too tender really moist and soft and when you slice into them the texure seems to be crumbly instead of a clean solid cut what am im doing wrong ???? i do used cake florur but i didnt think that should matter

Crumbly and tender are two sides of the same coin.  If you want less crumbly, you need less tender.  The fundamental problem is that the gluten in the flour isn’t developed enough to hold the cake together firmly enough for you.  Cake flour certainly contributes to this “problem”, since it has less protein than all purpose flours and hence will develop less strength.  Aside from the flour, the mixing method is a big determinant of the cake tenderness.  In general, increasing the mixing time will decrease tenderness.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 December 2011 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-19

so other words i should beat my cakes longer then normally

Posted: 19 December 2011 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
husbevjr - 19 December 2011 05:10 PM

so other words i should beat my cakes longer then normally

Either that, or use a bleached all-purpose flour.  Are these Rose’s recipes?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 December 2011 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-19

no its my own yellow cake recipe i did also try the downy one and it did the same thing so im thinking it is the cake flour

Posted: 19 December 2011 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
husbevjr - 19 December 2011 08:59 PM

no its my own yellow cake recipe i did also try the downy one and it did the same thing so im thinking it is the cake flour

The two-stage mixing method that Rose uses will lead to a very tender cake.  The creaming method will likely produce a less crumbly texture, even when using cake flour.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 December 2011 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-19

thank you very much

‹‹ Grrrrr      freezing whipped cream ››