My berry best pie
Posted: 20 December 2011 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-12-20

One of the reasons I bake and cook is to share the fun creations with people so I was so happy to find this part of the blog today!  This is only the second time I have made a berry pie and it’s the first time I tried making the decorative leaves to line the edge.  I saw them on the Designer Cherry Pie photo in The Pie & Pastry Bible so I wanted to give them a try for this pie I was taking to a friends pie party and contest.  That’s right, there was a blue ribbon up for grabs!  I didn’t not have a cutter so I tried by hand and was very happy with the results.  As with any time you cook and try something new you learn and I can’t wait to try it again knowing I can make it look even better.  Thanks Rose for helping me push myself in the kitchen and to have a lot of fun in the process.

I love the cream cheese pie crust recipe but never really made it exactly as I haven’t found regular pastry flour locally and typically don’t have bleached flour.  I also noticed the whole wheat cream cheese pie crust.  The only pastry flour I found was whole wheat pastry flour so I started trying something and love how it worked out.  I use the whole wheat cream cheese recipe but I use unbleached AP flour and whole wheat pastry flour and I love the results.

For the filling I looked at the recipes for blueberry and blackberry pies and went from there with my own mixture.  The first time it was a little tart and very runny (I served way too soon because of poor timing on my part).  I learned about how much moisture the various fruits will release during cooking and how much cornstarch to add to correct.  I also put the tossed fruit, sugar, spices and cornstarch on the stove for a few minutes to thicken some before baking which I hadn’t done the previous time.  It worked!

Looked great, tasted even better and it all held together smile

P.S. - I took home the blue ribbon!

Image Attachments
pie.jpgpie piece.jpg

Posted: 20 December 2011 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, it’s gorgeous!  Congratulations on the blue ribbon!  Blueberry and blackberry sounds like a great combo.

Your hand-cut leaves look great- I make them that way as well, have never bothered with a cutter as someone on the forum once reported that they didn’t work well for them.

Re: pastry flour, you can use Wondra flour- nice flavor and very tender.  I also find that Rose’s update of the cream cheese recipe- using heavy cream and vinegar instead of water and vinegar- works with bleached AP.  There’s also the sweet cream variation of the basic flaky butter crust, which works very, very well with bleached AP flour.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 20 December 2011 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Yes…. that is one beautiful pie.  I can see how you won.  Thank you for the details on how you made it!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 December 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Agreed - gorgeous pie.  Such a beautiful golden crust and such tempting, plump blueberries!!!

Posted: 21 December 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Tony, that is a fantastic looking pie and it sounds absolutely delicious…...very blue ribbon worthy.

Posted: 21 December 2011 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-12-20

Thanks so much for the kind words and the info.

Posted: 24 December 2011 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-11-29

Stunning pie! No wonder you won!

Posted: 24 December 2011 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Oh My! That is a beautiful pie. It is so tall and I love the crust leaves.

Posted: 24 December 2011 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

Your photography skills are a good as your baking!

Posted: 07 January 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

I agree with everyone else- that is one beautiful pie! I love your crust and how lovely golden brown it is. Congratulations on your win. Obviously very well deserved!