Dog Bones
Posted: 21 December 2011 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17

I baked dog bones today for my dogs. My dogs are very spoiled and very fussy when it comes to treats. They don’t eat just anything. They loved them.  It is not Rose’s recipe but I just wanted to share. This recipe comes from Bo Friberg’s Professional Pastry Chef textbook, volume 4.

Image Attachments
dog bones.jpg

Posted: 21 December 2011 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

Flourgirl, my dog thinks they look delicious smile and I think the cake in your cake keeper looks inviting! I’m nearing the end of my holiday cookie baking marathon and his treats are on the schedule for tomorrow. I didn’t realize Rose had a recipe for dog treats…..I was planning to try the one in Joanne Chang’s book Flour. Thank you for sharing.

Posted: 21 December 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you! This recipe isn’t Rose’s. It is from The Professional Pastry Chef Volume 4. I didn’t know Joanne had a dog bone recipe. I have that book. I have to check it out.  Thank you about the cakes. There are actually 2 under the cake keeper. One is a lemon loaf from The French Culinary Institute’s Fundamental Techniques of Classic Pastry Arts and I brushed Rose’s simple syrup all over it. The other one is Flo Braker’s eggnog cake with rum glaze.

Posted: 21 December 2011 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sophia - 21 December 2011 06:59 PM

his treats are on the schedule for tomorrow.

Sophia, do you usually make him dog treats? I have never made treats for my dogs before. Now that I see how much they love it,  I will bake them on a regular basis.

Posted: 21 December 2011 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Flour Girl - 21 December 2011 07:04 PM

There are actually 2 under the cake keeper. One is a lemon loaf from The French Culinary Institute’s Fundamental Techniques of Classic Pastry Arts and I brushed Rose’s simple syrup all over it. The other one is Flo Braker’s eggnog cake with rum glaze.

Both sound delicious, especially the eggnog/rum cake. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Flo Braker’s books….I’ll have to take a look at them.

Flour Girl - 21 December 2011 07:11 PM

Sophia, do you usually make him dog treats? I have never made treats for my dogs before. Now that I see how much they love it,  I will bake them on a regular basis.

I buy most of his treats and bake for him only on special occasions. I use a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens that has ground peanuts, sugar and butter and is decorated with a white chocolate drizzle - definitely not an everyday treat! Joanne Chang’s recipe is savoury (so is Rose’s….I found it online) and looks a lot healthier!

Posted: 21 December 2011 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sophia - 21 December 2011 08:04 PM
Flour Girl - 21 December 2011 07:04 PM

There are actually 2 under the cake keeper. One is a lemon loaf from The French Culinary Institute’s Fundamental Techniques of Classic Pastry Arts and I brushed Rose’s simple syrup all over it. The other one is Flo Braker’s eggnog cake with rum glaze.

Both sound delicious, especially the eggnog/rum cake. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Flo Braker’s books….I’ll have to take a look at them.

Flour Girl - 21 December 2011 07:11 PM

I buy most of his treats and bake for him only on special occasions. I use a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens that has ground peanuts, sugar and butter and is decorated with a white chocolate drizzle - definitely not an everyday treat! Joanne Chang’s recipe is savoury (so is Rose’s….I found it online) and looks a lot healthier!

Sophia, Flo’s recipes are great. I would say they are right up there with Roses ( or at least a close second).  Flo’s, like Rose’s, are delicious and very reliable.  We went to a Christmas party last weekend.  I baked Rose’s Golden Lemon Almond cake and Flo’s Eggnog Cake with Rum Glaze. Both were hits. My brother in law (who traveled 8 hours to attend the party) asked if he could take some of the eggnog cake with him. My husband started to protest and I told my husband I would bake him another one the next day. That is why I have an Eggnog cake in my cake keeper. My step-daughter asked if she can have a piece of Rose’s Lemon-almond cake to take home with her. The other cakes that were brought by other guests were unfinished. I took home 2 empty cake keepers.

Your dog bones sound really good.

Which book has Rose’s recipe? 

Bo’s ingredients are whole wheat flour, wheat germ, powdered milk, eggs, brown sugar and salt.

Posted: 21 December 2011 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Flour Girl - 21 December 2011 08:58 PM

Sophia, Flo’s recipes are great. I would say they are right up there with Roses ( or at least a close second).  Flo’s, like Rose’s, are delicious and very reliable.  We went to a Christmas party last weekend.  I baked Rose’s Golden Lemon Almond cake and Flo’s Eggnog Cake with Rum Glaze. Both were hits. My brother in law (who traveled 8 hours to attend the party) asked if he could take some of the eggnog cake with him. My husband started to protest and I told my husband I would bake him another one the next day. That is why I have an Eggnog cake in my cake keeper. My step-daughter asked if she can have a piece of Rose’s Lemon-almond cake to take home with her. The other cakes that were brought by other guests were unfinished. I took home 2 empty cake keepers.

Flourgirl, thank you, that’s a great recommendation for Flo Braker….I’m always looking for new things to bake!

Flour Girl - 21 December 2011 08:58 PM

Which book has Rose’s recipe?

Apparently Rose’s Christmas Cookie book has it. It never occurred to me until I read your initial post that Rose might have developed a recipe for dogs…..I figured if it’s as good as the rest of her recipes, my dog will be very happy smile . I don’t own the cookie book and only found the recipe online. Tomorrow, I’ll be making the peanut cookies…..Rose’s recipe will have to wait as powdered kelp is not one of my standard pantry items!

Posted: 21 December 2011 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Sophia. I have Rose’s Christmas Book but have not made anything in it yet. I’ve never baked cookies. Since it’s a Christmas book, this would be a good time to start. I’m having company for Christmas and cookies would be great to serve too.  Thank you for mentioning this book. I forgot all about it being a Christmas book.

As for Flo Braker, I know she has a few recipes on line too. I believe she has her Rhubab-Almond cake on line. It is fabulous.

‹‹ My berry best pie      Corn Muffins ››