Rescuing Fudge:  Cocoa Butter + Malted Milk Powder
Posted: 24 December 2011 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Okay, I am slothful, because I have no pictures.  I wish I did, but, as I say, I am slothful.

So, I made 3 fudges this year—the CI “fake” fudge (which is quite fabulous and hardly sweet) and two “real” fudges, neither of which came out, despite my following directions to a “t”.  I made a maple syrup fudge and a coffee fudge—others have made both of these fudges with great success, so I know it’s not the recipe.  It could have been the humidity, my thermomenter, but, for whatever reason, these wouldn’t set for me.

If this has happened to you, here’s a great rescue!!!

Stir in a whole lot of malted milk powder (about 1/4 the volume of fudge worth) and add melted cocoa butter.  When you melt the cocoa butter, you can do it directly in a pan (no double boiler needed), but take it off the heat before it’s done and stir to melt the rest.  Make sure the fudge isn’t cold when you add the cocoa butter, or the cocoa butter will solidify before you emulsify it.  Mix the cocoa butter in with your hands (like making meatballs).  Let it set at room temp—It will remain very soft (probably over night), but the cococa butter will return to a solid as it cools, and it will stiffen the fudge—at the same time, the fudge will keep the cocoa butter from ever actually becoming a complete solid.  The malted milk powder will help it keep a nice fudge texture (i.e, not too dense).  It also helps to add something to it—- nuts, cocoant—that will break up the density added by the cocoa butter.  Neither of these items add sweetness and, in fact, they dilute the sweetness a bit, which is nice in fudge…

I can’t tell you just how much to add—the maple took only 2 oz cocoa butter and I added a lot more walnuts (also to cut the sweetness), and the coffee was far from set and took 3 ounces, but then I had to do it again with another 6 ounces of cocoa butter.  Between the two, I used a whole container of malted milk powder.  The fudge was magical, the cocoa butter gave this non-chocolate fudge a fabulous mouthfeel, and I didn’t have to save the failed fudge for frosting (like last year).  One person described the coffee-coconut fudge as “ridiculously delicious,” which I thought was very pleasant of them!

I guess when adding the cocoa butter, think “how much totoal solid would be required to make this nearly solid” and add that much.  Also, you can err toward too much malted milk rather than not enough, becuase it seriously disppears into the stuff.

Posted: 24 December 2011 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds like you’ve discovered a great fix! smile

Coffee fudge sounds especially good, I love coffee smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 24 December 2011 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

That’s a great idea, thank you Anne.

It sounds so yummy and unique. I wish I thought of making that.

Merry Christmas to you and your hub

Posted: 24 December 2011 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Merry Christmas to you both, also!!!!!!!!

‹‹ freezing whipped cream      capachino request ››