Finally, a successful Apple Upside Down Cake!!
Posted: 26 December 2011 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-12-23

I made this a few days ago but ended up frustrated as I had forgotten to line the sides of the pan with apples and had an overly reduced caramel that didn’t completely coat the bottom of the pan.  The resulting cake was blotchy and not even worthy of a photograph LOL.  But I did what posters suggested and coated the sides with jelly and walnuts.  This cake tasted heavenly that’s why I was all the more determined to do this again! Since I had leftover Golden Delicious apples I decided to make it again today! 

I think this time the cake turned out fantastic!! I’m so happy right now I’m grinning from ear to ear as I’m typing LOL

Here it is just after inverting and after a very generous topping of chopped pecans which was what I had on hand.  (mind you, this amount of nuts was even waaaay fewer than the 2/3 cup that Rose indicated).  I used a baking stone again (pre-heated the oven much longer around 40 mins-1 hour) and had fully coated the bottom of the pan with caramel that’s why it isn’t botchy at all!!  What happened before was that I over-reduced the caramel…this time, I removed and poured the caramel as soon as it bubbled up and had enough caramel to fully coat the bottom of the pan.

I invited over a few friends to help me finish this cake and since this cake was way more successful than the previous mess, I’m going to make the Bourbon whipped cream to go with it.  Will post more photos of it sliced with the cream!

Image Attachments
P1010321.jpgP1010326.jpg
 Signature 

http://thekitchenismyshrink.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 December 2011 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-23

Another pic worth posting LOL

Image Attachments
P1010327.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2011 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1616
Joined  2011-02-17

Your cake looks so yummy. This is our favorite cake. Seeing yours makes me want to bake it.

Posted: 26 December 2011 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-23
Flour Girl - 26 December 2011 05:47 AM

Your cake looks so yummy. This is our favorite cake. Seeing yours makes me want to bake it.

Thanks Flour Girl!  The dark caramelization on top really makes it look so shiny and succulent smile  Smells heavenly too.  This is actually the second cake I made out of RHC and both cakes made my kitchen smell so wonderful!

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2011 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2011-10-15

Disco Kitchen, your cake looks sooo delicious…...I can even smell it now! I’ve only made this once before and you’ve reminded me of how just good it was.

Posted: 26 December 2011 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Yum!  Congratulations on your successful re-bake, it must have been good for you to want to make it again! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 26 December 2011 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations!!!  I agree with Sophia & FG - Seeing your fab pictures reminds me of just how good this cake is and makes me want to add it to my (overly crowded) list!  So glad it worked out for you!!!!  Looking forward to seeing more of your baking!

Posted: 30 December 2011 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I haven’t made this cake in a long while…your yummy picture makes me want to go home and make one tonight!