capachino request
Posted: 28 December 2011 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-10-24

I am a newbie at this forum but have been using rose"s cookbooks for years.  I recently made a half sheet cake of chocolate cake from rhc with silk meringue praline butter cream, covered with the choclate glaze from rhs. decorated with edible glitter and gum paste flowers. it was such a hit that i was asked to produce another masterpiece . The flavoring that was requested was cappuccino or anything coffee.  I cannot make it with nuts or any creams that incorporate cheese. Any ideas?

Posted: 29 December 2011 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I love the RHC tiramisu- not exactly cappucino, but is creamy and has plenty of coffee flavor.  However, it does have marscapone, which is similar to cream cheese.

If you can get away with mocha, the light whipped mocha ganache from RHC is to die for- you could pair it with the chocolate chiffon (deep chocolate passion) and syrup the cake with coffee, sugar and milk instead of chocolate and milk.  Both the cake base and the syrup can be scaled down from the Deep Chocolate Passion wedding cake in the back of RHC.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 29 December 2011 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Hi Hoosy,

Rose offers assorted coffee-flavoured variations of silk meringue and classic buttercream in TCB which can also be applied to the mousseline. For a cappuccino flavour, you could reduce the coffee flavouring, increase the vanilla and perhaps add a pinch of either cinnamon or cocoa.

For the cake, you may want to consider the Genoise Tres Cafe (RHC): it has coffee flavour baked into it and is then syrupped with a coffee/Kahlua syrup. To reduce the strength of the coffee flavour, you can use this syrup with a vanilla genoise. The whipped mocha ganache Julie mentioned is the suggested frosting for this cake.

Posted: 29 December 2011 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-10-24

Thanks. That is very good idea. I have to make a 12 in round. I actullay just made to 12 in round kahlua laced chiffon cakes. I was going to cut each of them into 2 for a total of 4 layers of cake. i was thinking to use 2 creams as filling. a silk meringue espresso buttercream and the light whipped ganache. 1 later cake , 1 layer (thin)smbc. cake ganache…. and cover the whole cake with smbc, and make a chocolate lattice ( like the strawbery maria in tCB) with some piped flowers and chocolate covered coffee beans in the center of each flower. Do you think something like that would work.  Usually when i am asked to do something for coffee lovers I make a daquoise with chocolate ganache and espresso cream, or some kind of tiramisu inspired cake!. I feel like i am out of my comfort zone.

Posted: 29 December 2011 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Hoosy,

That sounds like a delicious combination and a good balance of coffee and chocolate flavours. And based on your description, I think it will also look gorgeous….the lattice band always impresses smile !