moist spong
Posted: 01 January 2012 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-01

Hi all im new to this form so please bear with me im making a christening for my daughters son my third grandson now the problem is she wants a moist sponge cake i made a sample of what i thought would do but it was dry i was thnking of trying a red velvet without the colour or coco i know this taste nice as i have made it before dose anyone know if this will work please help its needed for next week and as im making the red velvet cake for my other daughters wedding in 6 weeks time i cant do it for the christening.

Posted: 01 January 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Red velvet cake isn’t a sponge, would you consider a chiffon?  They are springy, moist and not overly sweet.  There are great recipes for orange, lemon or chocolate chiffon in The Cake Bible or in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 10 January 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

you can also try other flavours as well by changing the orange juice in the orange chiffon recipe to something else smile
the green tea one turned out great but the mango one i made still needs a bit of work. Mango flavour isn’t strong like Orange…but any strong fruit flavour can be substituted quite nicely for the orange

Posted: 15 January 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-01-12

Typically Sponge Cake is not moist since it has no oil… you can add butter though,  BUT you can add simple syrup to it..  I use Torani Italian syrups with different flavors.  That way you don;t have to make it..

Red Velvet is not Red velvet if it is not red..  You can add Beets (juice ) to make it red instead of food coloring..