Sour Cream Butter Cake from TCB
Posted: 06 January 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-16

I make this cake OFTEN.. I make it with 2 whole eggs instead of 4 yolks.. I make this cake as small at 1x the recipe and as large as 30x the recipe.. I make it at home in my cuisinart, or at work on a 20qt or a 30qt.

my problem is regardless of if I make it 2x or 30x, at home or at work, it falls.. at home it falls if I bake it higher than 325.. it will even fall at 325 so I try to bake it at 300. The other day at work, I baked it at 300 (in a rotating deck oven with a thermometer that read 300)  the cakes still fell. as in doughy, do not serve, rebake those cakes for some of the layers.. it happens on 6 inch rounds it happens on larger rounds.. I am TIMING the 1:30 that we are supposed to mix on medium to make sure I don’t over mix, when I have used the 30, I used speed 1 for medium in case I was mixing it too much.. I am at my wits end.. LOL

anybody had this problem? HELP

(and thanks!)

Posted: 06 January 2012 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Have you tried taking its temperature when you think it’s done?  I think the internal temperature of a “done” butter cake should be between 190 & 200 F.  Maybe that will unlock the mystery!!!

Posted: 06 January 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Falling, to me, suggests two possible problems:

1.  Lack of structure (e.g., undermixing, weak flour, etc.)
2.  Overleavening.

Falling at the higher temperatures may be a result of #2, since higher temps boost the leavening effect.  You might consider using all-purpose bleached flour instead of cake flour, and/or mixing longer to improve the structure.

(BTW, is the recipe more reliable when using yolks only?)

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 January 2012 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Are you adjusting batter volume correctly, so that you don’t have too much batter in the pan? 

And are you adjusting baking powder- an additional adjustment beyond scaling the recipe- to account for pan size?

Re: mixing times, remember the batter needs to be mixed until combined before the timer starts.  If anything, you need to be mixing a little more rather than less.  And low oven temps encourage falling, as does underbaking (not reaching at least 190F internal temp).

Last, are you using bleached cake or AP flour?  Unbleached flour normally causes a dip in the middle.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 January 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I do make sure its combined before timing.I have adjusted pan volume.  I have not adjusted baking powder. It happens I’d I make it according to the recipe using that size pan and all. Possibly I am underbaking, I have to make some today so I will check the temperature when I get ready to take it out.

Posted: 11 January 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I use bleached cake flour. Superfine sugar.

Posted: 11 January 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

So I just took some out. Thery were registering 180 I side and had pulled away from te pans and look overbaked. I took them out and they shrunk. A 12 square and 2 12 rounds. Then I took 2 6 inch and 2 8 inch and they shrunk, but not as much.

Posted: 11 January 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Ideally, the cakes will just shrink back from the sides after you take them out of the oven and register 190F on an instant read thermometer at the center.  A little shrinking while cooling is normal.

The cakes will bake more evenly with cake strips, if you are not using them.  They are particularly important on the larger sizes, to prevent the sides from overbaking before the center is done.

For larger pan sizes like 12”, you may need to reduce the baking powder a bit after scaling the recipe.  The batter needs less in order to have enough strength to hold itself up across a larger expanse (like a bridge). 

And while we’re checking everything, are you using 2” high pans?

Hope there’s something there that is useful!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 January 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

Yes 2 inch pans. I can deal with some shrinking. But this is like an inch. I am on my phone but I took a pic, I will attach it later on. I used to use the strips but I haven’t in awhile. Today I had to bake 27 pans of cake today (not all this recipe) I just really don’t want to have to start taking the time to do that and buy strips etc. none of my other recipes have this prob and I multiply often. Sorry to sound Whiney. I’m a lil frustrated. I will likely have to rebake them. Thy will turn out better I I do it at home as opposed to work, but who wants to deal with that hahahaha

Posted: 11 January 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I just found this on the site dated 2010:

“When the Cake Bible was published over 21 years ago, 2-inch high cake pans were almost impossible to find so several of the layer cakes were created for the then commonly available 1-1/2 inch high pans.

Now that the 1-1/2 inch high pans are harder to find than 2-inch high pans, in the newer printings of The Cake Bible, when using these 2 inch high pans I recommended either to do 2/3 the recipe for 1 layer or 1-1/3 times the recipe for 2 layers.

As higher pans require proportionately less leavening (leavening weakens structure) it is also advisable to decrease the baking powder by 1/8 teaspoon for 1 layer and 1/4 teaspoon for 2 layers.”