Sour Cream Butter Cake from TCB
Posted: 06 January 2012 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-11-16

I make this cake OFTEN.. I make it with 2 whole eggs instead of 4 yolks.. I make this cake as small at 1x the recipe and as large as 30x the recipe.. I make it at home in my cuisinart, or at work on a 20qt or a 30qt.

my problem is regardless of if I make it 2x or 30x, at home or at work, it falls.. at home it falls if I bake it higher than 325.. it will even fall at 325 so I try to bake it at 300. The other day at work, I baked it at 300 (in a rotating deck oven with a thermometer that read 300)  the cakes still fell. as in doughy, do not serve, rebake those cakes for some of the layers.. it happens on 6 inch rounds it happens on larger rounds.. I am TIMING the 1:30 that we are supposed to mix on medium to make sure I don’t over mix, when I have used the 30, I used speed 1 for medium in case I was mixing it too much.. I am at my wits end.. LOL

anybody had this problem? HELP

(and thanks!)

Posted: 11 January 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I do make sure its combined before timing.I have adjusted pan volume.  I have not adjusted baking powder. It happens I’d I make it according to the recipe using that size pan and all. Possibly I am underbaking, I have to make some today so I will check the temperature when I get ready to take it out.

Posted: 11 January 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I use bleached cake flour. Superfine sugar.

Posted: 11 January 2012 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

So I just took some out. Thery were registering 180 I side and had pulled away from te pans and look overbaked. I took them out and they shrunk. A 12 square and 2 12 rounds. Then I took 2 6 inch and 2 8 inch and they shrunk, but not as much.

Posted: 11 January 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

Yes 2 inch pans. I can deal with some shrinking. But this is like an inch. I am on my phone but I took a pic, I will attach it later on. I used to use the strips but I haven’t in awhile. Today I had to bake 27 pans of cake today (not all this recipe) I just really don’t want to have to start taking the time to do that and buy strips etc. none of my other recipes have this prob and I multiply often. Sorry to sound Whiney. I’m a lil frustrated. I will likely have to rebake them. Thy will turn out better I I do it at home as opposed to work, but who wants to deal with that hahahaha

Posted: 11 January 2012 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I just found this on the site dated 2010:

“When the Cake Bible was published over 21 years ago, 2-inch high cake pans were almost impossible to find so several of the layer cakes were created for the then commonly available 1-1/2 inch high pans.

Now that the 1-1/2 inch high pans are harder to find than 2-inch high pans, in the newer printings of The Cake Bible, when using these 2 inch high pans I recommended either to do 2/3 the recipe for 1 layer or 1-1/3 times the recipe for 2 layers.

As higher pans require proportionately less leavening (leavening weakens structure) it is also advisable to decrease the baking powder by 1/8 teaspoon for 1 layer and 1/4 teaspoon for 2 layers.”