Woody’s Lemon Luxury for Italian Masquerade Birthday.
Posted: 07 January 2012 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

I had an unusual request from a customer last week… Lemon cake with Chocolate.  I used Woody’s Luxury Lemon Cake and buttercream recipe, Rose’s Midnight Ganache recipe, fondant, gumpaste and isomalt.  I followed Woody’s recipe to the T, except I had NO time for making lemon curd.  I had to use store bought, which was rendered useless because the buttercream had almost no lemon flavor to it.  I added almost 1/2 cup of lemon juice and more butter to the bowl and thankfully it produced a very similar result. I layered the cake according to the recipe, thin layer of the lemon buttercream on the outside, partially froze the cake, then topped it with a very thin layer of Midnight Ganache, partially froze the cake again, then added fondant and decorations. 

I practically had to make all of the molds by hand for this cake, but they came out very nice, so I’m glad I had a chance to do it!  The customers said the cake was divine, one said it was the best cake she’s ever tasted. 

Another win! Thanks Rose!

Image Attachments
IMG_9478_small.jpgIMG_9475_small.jpgIMG_9465_small.jpg

Posted: 07 January 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

DouxHouse, your cake is stunning, as always!
Lemon with chocolate isn’t too common in a cake -  I’m glad the flavour was a success for you.

Posted: 07 January 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

Your cake is beautiful.  Did you make the chocolate fondant from Rose’s recipe and using Amazing Mold Putty to make you own mold? Thanks for sharing.

Posted: 07 January 2012 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Absolutely gorgeous!  So happy you posted smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 07 January 2012 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Hmmm, I thought lemon and chocolate wasn’t that great of a combo?  I recall in the TCB, Rose makes some comment that any buttercream would work with a chocolate cake, except for lemon.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 07 January 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

Sophia and Julie-  Thank you! I keep getting weird flavor combinations over here.. they definitely keep me on edge!

Bean- Thanks!  I used Amazing Mold Putty and it worked like a charm.  It’s a bit expensive from my local craft store, but I’ve been able to make 10-15 molds from each box I buy so it definitely is worth investigating if you’re curious!  I didn’t make the chocolate fondant.. I actually bought fondant for this cake because my time was unbelievably limited.  My local cake supply shop had 20lb buckets of Satin Ice fondant.. I used White- vanilla butercream on top of the chocolate ganache, and and also used the Elite Jet Black fondant for the outer layer.  The Elite brand uses chocolate in their recipe, but it doesn’t taste as great as Rose’s.  But since it was such a thin layer (probably 1/16”) I didn’t feel it affected the flavor.  No one from the party complained about the fondant. 

Charles- That’s what I told my customer.. chocolate overpowers lemon!  But she wanted a lemon-chocolate cake regardless.  I even sprinkled some lemon juice on both sides of the cake (before putting down the thin layer of lemon curd and lemon buttercream filling) to make sure the flavor stood out.  And, I only iced the Midnight Ganache about 1/4” thick.  They all said it was amazing.  Go figure!

Posted: 08 January 2012 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-12-23

Stunning cake! Such an unusual flavor combo though!

Signature 

http://thekitchenismyshrink.blogspot.com/

Posted: 08 January 2012 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

I love your work! This cake is absolutely stunning! The details are so beautiful. The flavor combo doesn’t appeal to me personally tongue rolleye But I’m so glad your customer liked it!

Posted: 09 January 2012 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24

Everyone used my word but that is what it is —- Stunning!!!  Thank you so much for sharing the details. I ambitiously see myself referring back to this thread.  I also appreciate that there is at least one person I know (sort of) that decorates so fabulously and also makes delicious cakes.  I know they are delicious because you are using Rose’s recipes.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 14 January 2012 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-09-06

Picture perfect.  The detail involved is fantastic.

I wish I had your talent.  Do you have a bakery or is this something you do just to do it.  I’m fascinated.  Thanks for posting & sharing.

Posted: 14 January 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  671
Joined  2012-01-12

Very nice… very clean work..  There is nothing like a very detailed and clean creation..

Posted: 18 January 2012 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06
almonds - 14 January 2012 05:14 AM

Picture perfect.  The detail involved is fantastic.

I wish I had your talent.  Do you have a bakery or is this something you do just to do it.  I’m fascinated.  Thanks for posting & sharing.

Thank you so much Almonds, I’m very flattered! 

I don’t have a bakery, although it’s something I’ve recently been considering.  I just do this as a hobby for family, friends and friends-of-friends.  I really want to take professional classes, maybe a formal degree.  I’m a Fine Arts grad, specialization in sculpture with a professional sequence in art education… so there’s that smile  I quit my teaching job to be a stay at home mom for my little one… so I do this in my spare (and not so spare) time.  It keeps me sane :D

Posted: 23 January 2012 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Absolutely exquisite!  Impressive and gorgeous work.

DouxHouse - 18 January 2012 09:29 PM

I quit my teaching job to be a stay at home mom for my little one… so I do this in my spare (and not so spare) time.  It keeps me sane :D

This makes me laugh as I am in exactly the same boat (for the past year and upcoming year, anyway!—It really does keep me sane, too!

Posted: 23 January 2012 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

Sherrie- Thank you!  And LOL It’s definitely a great outlet!  I dunno how people get so stressed out over cooking and baking.  I mean, I have my days with mistakes and fast approaching deadlines but I love seeing the end result and making people so happy.  Definitely a thrill.

Posted: 23 January 2012 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

OMG! That is an amazing cake.