Syruping a Cold Butter Cake
Posted: 08 January 2012 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I am making butter cake that uses syrup to infuse it with flavor.  My cakes are cold (in the fridge)—they will be trimmed to be about 1/2” to 3/4” layers with one cut side.  Is it correct, then, that I should use hot syrup?  I keep reading that you use hot syrup on a cold cake (or vice versa).  Or do I do something else?  Both room temp, etc.  The cakes will be layered with custard and frosted with buttercream, if that matters.

Thank you!

—ak

Posted: 09 January 2012 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

In my limited experience with butter cakes, the syrup doesn’t really travel well unless you stab a bunch of holes in it and use hot syrup, and even then it doesn’t penetrate as evenly as it does with a sponge cake.  So not sure temp will make a huge difference, just be sure to let it sit for a day to help distribute moisture more evenly.  Include a little on the sides in your syruping.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 09 January 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Julie! Thank you!  I stabbed it, luckily!!!  My cakes were rather dense (they didn’t rise—AGAIN!), so I thought it would help.  I’m thinking now I might have frozen the cake a little too quickly—after about 4 hours—but I was worried about the custard-mixed-with-whipped-cream-filling holding up for a longer rest.  When it thaws, it will thaw slowly in the fridge (24 hours) and then have another 8 or so at room temp before serving, so I hope whatever didn’t distribute will do so then.

Posted: 09 January 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Many of my French recipes require soaking a hot cake and some even have you put the hot cake back in the oven to bake a few more minutes after it is soaked. I’d really love to know how you make out on this.

Posted: 09 January 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 09 January 2012 11:20 PM

Many of my French recipes require soaking a hot cake and some even have you put the hot cake back in the oven to bake a few more minutes after it is soaked. I’d really love to know how you make out on this.

Really!!!?? 

Interesting.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 09 January 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Yes. The French Culinary Institute’s Technique book, Michel Roux’s books, Extraordinary Cakes, to mention a few.

Posted: 09 January 2012 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

That is interesting!  I’ll have to try that sometime!

I’ll definitely let you know how it worked!

Thanks, FG!

Posted: 10 January 2012 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

HI Anne, was thinking that 24 hours in the fridge and another 8 hours at room temp might be too much, if you are talking about the BF Coconut Cake.  It has all of that whipped cream in the custard filling, so you might not want to let it get too warm…

Posted: 10 January 2012 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Loop!  How do you thaw yours?

‹‹ Fixed Cake Weights?      Question ››