Baker’s Joy and other items
Posted: 09 January 2012 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2009-11-24

So I have a problem obtaining Baker’s Joy.  So far it appears none of the stores in my area carry it.  Due to slow sales, they have discontinued it.  We were so delighted to have Wegman’s but they only carry Pam and another store is now carrying Pillsbury.  I think the average person just makes do and does not tell their store their preferences. 

Do you have a problem finding Baker’s Joy? I see it is on Amazon…..must pay shipping!!  Do you tell your store when they do not have an item you would like?  If you do not use Baker’s Joy, what do you use?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 09 January 2012 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

I consider the Pillsbury product with flour interchangeable with Baker’s Joy.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 January 2012 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

I tell my store all the time when they discontinue something I buy regularly, but they always say the same thing- those decisions are made at the regional or national level, they have no control over it.

Pam for baking works well enough, but it has a strong fake-flavoring smell that I don’t like.  The Pillsbury product isn’t sold here so I haven’t used it.

In my area, my regular grocery doesn’t carry Baker’s Joy but there is one the next town over that does.  They also are the only ones selling Better for Bread flour, so I go there occaisionally to stock up.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 09 January 2012 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2011-10-15

CRenee, I’ve never used Baker’s Joy as it’s not available in Canada. I use Pam for for baking and Wilton’s Cake Release. I agree with Julie about the smell of the Pam, but I find it doesn’t transfer to the baked cake. The cake release is a liquid that must be applied with a pastry brush and is very effective. I haven’t seen the Pillsbury product in any store here.

Posted: 09 January 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I second Wilton Cake release.  I don’t think of making a cake without it.

Posted: 09 January 2012 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17

Have you tried Wal-Mart? Wal-Mart carries Baker’s Joy in my area.

Posted: 09 January 2012 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you, Charles.  I have already purchased 3 cans of the Pillsbury product.  I will have to compare it should I ever get some Bakers Joy. 
You know, Julie, I really do not like the Pam at all.  I told my local store and they told me to contact the National office.  This store also does not carry Bird’s Eye Frozen fresh coconut but another grocery store in the area does.  It is nice having Wegman’s.  It is like a mix of Whole Foods and a regular grocery market.  But, Alas, it has not eliminated the need to shop at a second market.  Meanwhile, I have written Bakers Joy to ask where I may obtain the product. 
Thank you Sophia and ModernCake.  I will have to give Wilton Cake Release a try.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 14 January 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-09-06

Hi, I’m not sure if you have an Aldi store in your area but every year around the holiday season they offer their version of the baker’s spray.  This year it was $1.29 per can.  I usually stock up on it as the shelf life is quite long.  I’ve never been disappointed by it. 

Good Luck finding the one you like best.

‹‹ Wedding cake help!      Star Wars Cake ››