sugar free deserts
Posted: 09 January 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-09

does anyone have any sugar free desert recipes i could get please my dad is a diebetic & he is coming for super tomorrow nite & i have no ideal on what to use for sugar free recipe
could someone please help me??

Posted: 09 January 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, shadowwolf!

All of the Rose recipes I know have sugar—she doesn’t normally create recipes for special dietary needs, although there are a few cholesterol-free ones here and there.  If I were you, I would simply google “diabetic dessert” or “sugar-free dessert”—I know you’ll find lots of great options, as there are many people looking for these types of things.

http://www.allrecipes.com also has user ratings for each dessert—I’m sure others do, too—so you can feel more confident of the ones you choose.

Another good possibility is to go to the website of a sugar substitute manuafcturer, like Equal or whatever—they’re certain to have recipes, and it’s in their interest to test them and be sure they taste good.

Good luck, and have fun with your dad!!

—ak

Posted: 09 January 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

I have heard folks say they use Splenda ..... 

This website:  http://splenda.tastebook.com/recipes?category_id=9-Desserts  has desserts.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 12 April 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-04-11

My wife avoids both sugar and gluten, and we needed a birthday cake recipe.  So I cobbled this together from one book by Jello fanatics and another one by people who thought they could solve the world’s nutritional problems with yogurt. 

Flavor Advice:  The recipes with fresh strawberries and strawberry Jello and with fresh peaches and peach Jello are excellent.  The recipe with oranges in orange Jello is good.  If you put real cherries in cherry Jello the result tastes medicinal, so add lots of chocolate.  Blueberries are good but Berry Jello is NOT Blueberry Jello, the flavors clash.  Combining blueberries with strawberries in strawberry jello produced good flavors.  If you find other good flavor matches, let everybody know.

1 package 32 oz vanilla yogurt (this is not NOT ZERO SUGAR, but it’s low).  Drain this (at least 4 hours, ...up to overnight) to separate the whey from the yogurt cheese.  Keep all the whey.  You need at least 8 ounces.

Preheat your oven to 250oF.  Lightly butter a 9 inch square pan, we use a glass one.

In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine
The yogurt cheese
2 egg yolks
2 tbp vanilla
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1.5 to 2 cups fresh fruit (peaches, strawberries, blueberries, orange sections, or cherries)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (required for cherry, optional for other flavors)
cinnamon to taste

Put the whey on the stove to boil.

Whip the 2 egg whites in their own bowl.

As the whey boils, you’ll notice fine little white lumps.  Boiled whey = ricotta cheese by definition.  It’s nutritious.

Dissolve 1 package sugar free Jello, the 8 serving size, in the whey.  This will take some determination on your part, because you’re using about 8 ounces of liquid and the Jello package calls for 4 cups.  Stir patiently and use a spatula with determination to…

Mix the gelatin into the yogurt cheese mixture, then

Fold in the egg whites.  If you’re not thorough, there will be white splotches in your Jello Cake.  If you are thorough, you’ll lose too much air and the cake won’t rise as much.  Don’t be a perfectionist.

Spread this mixture in the 9 inch square pan.

Cook for 5 minutes.  Lower the heat to 200oF.
Cook 5 minutes more.  Lower the heat to 175oF.
Cook for 10 minutes more.  Turn the oven off and leave the cake in until it’s cool.

Many people here are more expert than I am.  The objective of the oven temperature is to get the eggs to set without overcooking the gelatin, and a completely different oven prescription may be more sensible.

Posted: 12 April 2012 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Thirsty!!

Welcome!

I have got to say that that entire post was impresssive.  Happily (now, more than ever), I make rcipes “straight up,” but this is some seriously interesting workaroud.  I found your flavor notes fascinating!!!

Looking forward to hearing more about your baking—of all kinds!!

—ak

Posted: 12 April 2012 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-04-11

This started with a printed recipe for sugar-free, flourless chocolate cherry brownies.  It was imaginative, but not delicious.  We doubled the Jello content, added real fruit,  and started to experiment with other flavors.  We haven’t yet tried Key Lime, though we have found the experts advise using regular limes. 

We borrowed the idea for improving artificial sweetener by adding (vanilla + allspice + nutmeg + cinnamon) from a recipe for low fat waffles.  One of the reasons for keeping the temperature low is that moderate temperatures destroy the artificial sweeteners.