frostings and fillings that i can use for a fondant covered cake
Posted: 10 January 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-10

Hello,I’m making a fondant covered cherry blossom cake. What kind of frostings and fillings can I use on a fondant covered cake? I know that fondant can’t be chilled,once its on a cake. I want to use a tastey filling,not just a shortening based frosting. I want something a little different. I was thinking of making the cake a browned butter cake, or doing a dark chocolate cake with a chocolate ganche.

Also,what’s the best and cheapest technique for the flowers? I make my own fondant. I know ill need to buy gumpaste for the flowers. What tools should I use or buy?

Posted: 10 January 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

....Because I am also a Sarah, I thought I would reply!

There are a lot of different options you have on the frosting under the fondant…. it sounds like this may be your first fondant cake, I’m sure you have a lot of questions!

I know that a lot of us here on the forum use Rose"s Cake Bible Book..  Cake Bible Link

By reading this book, and searching the forum, you will find the information you need for your cake and future cakes! Best of luck,!

Posted: 10 January 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-10
Sarahmdr - 10 January 2012 05:00 PM

....Because I am also a Sarah, I thought I would reply!

There are a lot of different options you have on the frosting under the fondant…. it sounds like this may be your first fondant cake, I’m sure you have a lot of questions!

I know that a lot of us here on the forum use Rose"s Cake Bible Book..  Cake Bible Link

By reading this book, and searching the forum, you will find the information you need for your cake and future cakes! Best of luck,!

Aw well thanks. I’ve actually made several fondant cakes. But I’ve always used the same frosting,either a vanilla or almond buttercream with a shortening base or a chocolate buttercream.

I’ve been meaning to buy the cake bible for a few years now,but I just really can’t afford to buy it right now.

Posted: 10 January 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I am not sure why people don’t refridgerate their fondant covered cakes.  I have been doing it for years.  I don’t notice any difference in the appearance of the fondant.  I don’t actually eat the fondant because I think it is yucky but my kids do and have eaten refridgerated fondant.  Just make sure the cake comes to room temperature before you serve it.

Posted: 10 January 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2009-09-09
moderncake - 10 January 2012 06:42 PM

I am not sure why people don’t refridgerate their fondant covered cakes.  I have been doing it for years.  I don’t notice any difference in the appearance of the fondant.  I don’t actually eat the fondant because I think it is yucky but my kids do and have eaten refridgerated fondant.  Just make sure the cake comes to room temperature before you serve it.

I also refrigerate all my cakes even if they’re covered in fondant.
I would like to know why the first poster would say they’re generally not chilled.
Do you mean not put in the freezer?

The cream on the cake will keep the fondant on the cake moist even if you put it on the cake.
That was what the wilton instructor told us

um…if you’re doing a chocolate cake…fruit fillings are nice. You can whip fruit purees into the buttercream or just do creme frieche and whip some jam into it too (1 cup of cream, 1 tbsp buttermilk and add the 1tbsp of sugar when you whip. Lightly combine the cream and buttermilk and let it sit for a while. TCB say for 12-14 hours in a warm place.)
you can even put in pudding instead of frosting into the middle of the cake

it really just depends on what your family likes smile if they like fruits, or chocolate etc
If you do a bitter chocolate cake then do a white chocolate cream.
The sweetness balances the bitterness of the cake.

Posted: 10 January 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

I do not fondant cover cakes but I have observed from my reading on this forum that any Rose frosting will do.  I recommend the Mousselline in The Cake Bible.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 13 January 2012 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2012-01-12

I am a fondant queen “persay”... I Love working with fondant…  For filling,  I always or normally use buttercream or fudge.  ANything that is sturdy.. You can refrigerate your fondant covered cake,  but cover it loosely w/ foil or plastic..

I used buttercream in these cakes below for the church auction..

Image Attachments
emeraldballcake.jpgbarrelcake.jpgP1010063.jpg

Posted: 13 January 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Fondant Queen, indeed!  Those are stunning!!!  surprised

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

‹‹ Question      Famous Choc Wafers ››