Famous Choc Wafers
Posted: 10 January 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-10

I am excited to be making pupcakes for a birthday this week but am so new to baking / making anything fancy that I am worried.  The recipe for each puppy decorated cupcake includes a template for ears that says to use Famous Chocolate Wafers.  They weren’t an option at the local store although I found a further away store i could go to - if i found the time.  Instead, I bought a thin wafer thing called Oreo ThinCrisps.  Other ideas we had were chocolate grahams or oreos with the insides scraped out.  I will be making a practice litter tonight because i am so nervous - my question is, since i have never seen a Famous Choc Wafer and with the idea that i will be cutting and shaping dog ears out of the cookie, do you recommend one of my local options over the others?  Or maybe just have a lot of frosting in a piping thing ready?  Any advice is very welcomed!  Thank you.

Posted: 10 January 2012 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

I recommend just baking a recipe of chocolate cookies; they’ll be a lot better than the Nabisco product anyway.  There’s really nothing special about them, other than being pretty dry and not very sweet.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 10 January 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-10

Thank you for posting in my week of panic. 

I’ll see how some turn out tonight and see if i can make them dog ear shape and color.  thanks.

Posted: 10 January 2012 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Just wanted to wish you luck!

If the store-bought cookies turn out too difficult to shape without breaking (is that what you’re trying to do with them?), do what Charles recommended, make up a basic chocolate sugar cookie and then you can cut it to shape before you bake it.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 10 January 2012 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

Famous Wafers were pretty crispy as I recall; you could get a similar effect using the oreos with the insides removed.  I thought the wafers were bigger cookies, though.  Can you find chocolate Nilla wafers? Or those oreo cookie things that are more like cake (softer)?

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 10 January 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hi Birthdaycakedevote,
I went to my kitchen and opened a box of the Famous Nabisco Chocolate Wafers that I use for a wonderful mocha chocolate icebox cake.
They are 2 and 1/4 inches round and about 1/8 inch thick.
Don’t know if this helps.
Good luck! smile