1 of 2
Perfected my French Macarons
Posted: 12 January 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2012-01-12

Since I have perfected the French macarons,  I have been making them like crazy…  I like to decorate them lightly (not overwhelming)..  Here are the ones I have made lately:

grin

Image Attachments
P1000996.jpg

Posted: 13 January 2012 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-09-06

Beautiful!  Too pretty to eat…probably because they’re not right infront of me right now. 

Absolutely picture perfect.  I love the colors, soft & pastel.

Posted: 13 January 2012 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Great job!  What recipe are you using for French Macarons?  Thanks.

Posted: 13 January 2012 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hello,  here is my recipe:

2/3 cup Almond flour; 1 cup powdered sugar;  1/3 cup granulated sugar;  3 egg whites (that I age on the counter for 2 days)..

I ALWAYS pulse the Almond flour and powdered sugar in a processor.  That helps get the very smooth texture on the macarons.

I color the meringue when I am almost done whipping,  like half way until it is very stiff.  Then I fold the almond flour and powdered sugar mixture until I get the consistency of “ketchup”...  Tap the pan on the counter.. It makes the batter spread a little and get rid of bubbles.  I piped them using a round tip and let them dry for at least 50 mins..

I do not make them on rainy day.  They won’t dry or will take more than 2 hours and they could come out not really what yuo would want.

Posted: 16 January 2012 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-09-06

PC, Thanks for sharing your recipe.  I know I’ll try this but I also know I’ll have failures….but I’ll keep at it.

Please explain about the egg whites aging on the counter for 2 days.  Is that safe to do? 

Thanks.

Posted: 17 January 2012 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Hi almonds,

Yes, it is safe.  I do it every time.  Actually 24 hours is also fine.  When I was living in my grandparents farm house,  they had no refrigerator.  Eggs are at room temp. all the time.
Don’t worry about it. 

I failed a few times.  Most of us do.  Some lucky people did it in the first or 2nd try… good luck.  let me know how it came out.  grin

Posted: 17 January 2012 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-12-23

Wow interesting tip on aging the egg whites for 2 days!  I also read that thawed egg whites also make the airiest meringue as well.

I’ve always wanted to make macarons but since it’s very humid where I live, I’ve always chickened out making them.  Any tips on how to make this if it’s really humid?

Signature 

http://thekitchenismyshrink.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 January 2012 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Well I have no idea where you live,  but all I can say it be brave and try and make them…  Try using a hair blow/dryer in addition to air drying them.. That might work.

Are you in Asia ?  I am from Philippines but I now live in California..  good luck smile

Posted: 18 January 2012 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-12-23

Wow yes I’m from the Philippines! That was a good guess! smile

Signature 

http://thekitchenismyshrink.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 January 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

Love this!  Great job!

Posted: 19 January 2012 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12

Thank you so much… I make them almost everyday now.. only when it doesn to rain..

Posted: 19 January 2012 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Prettycake, these are so very beautiful! I have never tasted a macaron, but if I had, I would wish it to be one of yours smile At least as pretty as, if that is even possible. Gorgeous design, color, and execution. What size tip do you use to pipe them?

Congrats on perfection!

Jem

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 19 January 2012 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
Jemoiselle - 19 January 2012 06:00 PM

Prettycake, these are so very beautiful! I have never tasted a macaron, but if I had, I would wish it to be one of yours smile At least as pretty as, if that is even possible. Gorgeous design, color, and execution. What size tip do you use to pipe them?

Congrats on perfection!

Jem

Thank you so much… cheese  I have been experimenting different colors and plain decorations on top.  The tip I used is a large one.. I think the opening is about 3/4 inch in diameter… My pinky finger can fit thru it when I am cleaning it.

Posted: 30 April 2012 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-04-26

May I know why is it that the macarons that I made on 2 attempts didn’t rise with feet? not only that, the top cracks also. is it because I didn’t whisk the egg whites properly? I whisked until soft peak without sugar (no creamy stage), just plain whites.

Posted: 01 May 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-04-07
prettycake - 12 January 2012 07:50 PM

Since I have perfected the French macarons,  I have been making them like crazy…  I like to decorate them lightly (not overwhelming)..  Here are the ones I have made lately:

grin

Your French macarons looks great. I think it’s yummy. I will surely try this.

Posted: 08 May 2012 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-01-12
rafemama - 30 April 2012 04:12 PM

May I know why is it that the macarons that I made on 2 attempts didn’t rise with feet? not only that, the top cracks also. is it because I didn’t whisk the egg whites properly? I whisked until soft peak without sugar (no creamy stage), just plain whites.

Hi newbie,  to get the feet you must let it develop a film on top by letting them dry for at least 45 minutes after piping.  That is what gives it the “feet”...  no film no feet.  The film or dry top will prevent the heat from going thru the top during baking so as a result it will push the top and that is when you see the feet.  Keep trying,  I failed a few times then it just hit me..  since then I have not failed.

1 of 2