Star Wars Cake
Posted: 14 January 2012 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2011-05-31

Hi everyone!
I have undertaken the task of baking a Star Wars themed cake for my husband?s 35th birthday- one week from today! I have attached picture of the cake I want to bake. The picture is of a poster showing an actual cake made to celebrate the one year anniversary of the movie back in 1978.

I was thinking to make a 12 inch layer cake, and a 9 inch. Cover them both in buttercream frosting (white and blue). The hard part - and the part I am stuck on- is the Star Wars logo. Should I do a frozen buttercream transfer of the logo? I have never done this before? Any ideas/tips/suggestions from bakers who are more experienced than I am? Thank you!

http://www.moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Star_Wars_Birthday_Cake_files/Star Wars Birthday Cake folded.jpg

Image Attachments
swhappydec06.jpg

Posted: 14 January 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

The buttercream transfer will work, as would cutting the letters out of blue fondant (print out the letters using the appropriate font, or trace them/cut out), then roll out blue fondant and using an exacto blade, carefully cut each letter.  Smooth out the cut edges if needed - if you drag the blade it can leave a raggedy edge - with the other end of a small paintbrush or the flat edge of a modeling tool, and let them dry on a piece of cardboard very lightly dusted with cornstarch and covered with plastic wrap. You can also use colored chocolate in the same way as the buttercream transfer, just remember to flood the entire image with white chocolate when you finish, to make it more sturdy when you flip it over.

Either way, measure the logo before you begin so you know it will fit on the 9” cake.

Good luck!  What a fun way to celebrate your husband’s birthday!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

What kind of buttercream are you going to make? I once tried to get that blue with Mouseline Butter but failed.

Posted: 16 January 2012 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-31

Thank you both for your replies! Jeanne, I think I will try the buttercream transfer as my husband isn’t a fan of fondant… Do you have any tips for the buttercream transfer?

I don’t know which buttercream I will make yet, but I do agree that the mouseline buttercream would fail. I love the taste and use it on cupcakes often, but it is very soft… Any suggestions on which of Rose’s buttercream’s will work for decorating?

Posted: 16 January 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

I do not care for fondant either.  But when I need decorations like this I use fondant and just take it off just before cutting.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 16 January 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

How about air bush the fondant for the base (If you want to play around with air brush) then cutting the letters out of blue fondant to make the logo.
You might get that blue color from the american buttercream, but you will hate the taste after you tried mouseline buttercream.

Good luck and please share your cake.

Posted: 29 January 2012 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-31

Here is my final cake! I used Rose’s red velvet cake for the layers and cream cheese frosting. Everyone loved it and my husband was very happy!
Thank you for your help and input!