BEST Chocolate Cake?
Posted: 16 January 2012 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2010-03-20

This question was asked before in the forum, but it was about 3 years ago. So I believe it is time we make a new poll:

Which cake (composed including frosting) is the BEST chocolate cake of them all??
Is it:
a) the Deep Chocolate Passion (with milk chocolate syrup and ganache)
b) the Double Chocolate Valentine
c) the the Bernachon Palet D’or Gateau
d) the chocolate Fudge cake with milk chocolate ganache
e) the chocolate layer cake with caramel ganache
f)  the Devil’s Food Cake
d) none of the above ???

If none of the above, then which is your winning combination (maybe another combination of cake/frosting not listed above)??

Every opinion/vote counts!! Thank you!

Posted: 16 January 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2010-12-29

I would like to add:

Domingo cake with alternating layers of whipped dark chocolate ganache and the caramel from the turtle cupcakes from RHC mixed with toasted pecans!

I have a feeling this isn’t going to be easy!!

Posted: 16 January 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2011-05-15

i love the chocolate butter cake. And the german chocolate cake is a great one when u dont have any butter on hand. so soft and moist ! and as for chocolate pound cakes. I tested rose s chocolate pound against tish boyle sour cream chocolate pound cake. both were very good but i somehow preferred the texture and chocolatiness( ?? ) of Tish’s. I think it has something to do with the sour cream .

Posted: 16 January 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

Thank you for your responses.
@prettycake: Not only the recipes I listed, but any recipe. Although if you could choose your favorite among Rose’s recipes that would be most helpful because some people here (me) are only familiar with Rose’s recipes.

Posted: 16 January 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

@Sherrie:
My style is: the moister the cake the better!
So I guess you mean the Deep chocolate Passion is really moist? I made it once but I messed up the syrup and it did not penetrate well, so it was not moist. It basically became hard on the surface like a coating without going any deeper. I need to make it again.
But I’m looking for a cake for my chocoholic friends. A death by chocolate sort of thing.

But the Oblivion is not really a cake, it is more like eating a soft and creamy chocolate bar, I suspect.

Posted: 16 January 2012 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

Sherrie: It was not dry, I think the cake came out well, but I basically ate it without any syrup, which would have made it a lot moister.

But the cake should not be so rich that the slices ought to be tiny. I want it to be decadent but not so much that after a thin slice I’m done. I once made a chocolate ganache tart (not Rose’s), and found it so extremely rich that I had to throw the entire tart into the garbage can. I like BIG slices of cake, and I’m afraid you can’t do that with the Oblivion.

Posted: 17 January 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20
CharlesT - 17 January 2012 02:22 PM
Jose Lugo - 17 January 2012 12:41 AM

I want it to be decadent but not so much that after a thin slice I?m done.

To me, that’s a contradiction, because I think the term “decadent” implies “rich”.

It may be a paradox, but not quite a contradiction. When you have a cake like that (I did in a restaurant) you will know what I mean: addictive and rich and yet not cloying.

That’s why I’m not that fond of these dense ganache frostings….they seem to overpower the cake and kill my appetite very quickly.  I think a whipped ganache is a better frosting when you actually want to enjoy the cake part, too, or else some totally different flavor.

I’m thinking that the best combo maybe what Julie suggested (the Deep Chocolate Passion as composed in the wedding cake section) but making the ganache that goes with it whipped-style as you say.

Posted: 17 January 2012 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-12-23

I love cakes with chocolate in them but I’m not really a fan of pure chocolate cakes that are really rich and fudgy.  I always prefer it if they’re mixed with fruits like strawberries, raspberries, etc. and topped with a non-chocolate icing which always help cut down the richness of the cake.  Among Rose’s chocolate cake recipes, the Chocolate Feather Bed and Chocolate Raspberry Genoise appeals to me the most.

Signature 

http://thekitchenismyshrink.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 January 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-05-16

The only chocolate cake I have tried in RHC so far is the Chocolate Banana Stud.  I would like to include this in the choices for BEST choc cakes - I chose it for its simplicity, moistness and the fact that it was gobbled up instantly. Though I didn’t choose to stud it with chocolate chips, melted white chocolate balanced the bitter sweetness of the dark ganache.  So for these reasons, I nominate the Chocolate Banana Stud cake.

‹‹ Star Wars Cake      Bread Proofing ››