1 of 2
BEST Chocolate Cake?
Posted: 16 January 2012 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

This question was asked before in the forum, but it was about 3 years ago. So I believe it is time we make a new poll:

Which cake (composed including frosting) is the BEST chocolate cake of them all??
Is it:
a) the Deep Chocolate Passion (with milk chocolate syrup and ganache)
b) the Double Chocolate Valentine
c) the the Bernachon Palet D’or Gateau
d) the chocolate Fudge cake with milk chocolate ganache
e) the chocolate layer cake with caramel ganache
f)  the Devil’s Food Cake
d) none of the above ???

If none of the above, then which is your winning combination (maybe another combination of cake/frosting not listed above)??

Every opinion/vote counts!! Thank you!

Posted: 16 January 2012 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I would like to add:

Domingo cake with alternating layers of whipped dark chocolate ganache and the caramel from the turtle cupcakes from RHC mixed with toasted pecans!

I have a feeling this isn’t going to be easy!!

Posted: 16 January 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

For chocolate, my personal choice is a dense texture, I just feel it goes with the flavor.  Two options:

-For an intense flavor, the chocolate oblivion.  Sort of like eating the inside of a chocolate truffle. 

-For a mellow flavor, I like the bittersweet cocoa almond genoise- cocoa, toasted almonds and butter all balanced perfectly so you can taste all three.  I like it best with a mellow dark mocha ganache:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3474/  This is best with the nuts ground super fine.

For a more classic layer cake, here are my thoughts:
-Love the RHC devil’s food, it’s for the dark, intense chocolate lover who’s not afraid of a little brandy (me!)
-the choc fudge is relatively light and moist, with a little of that choc chip cookie flavor from the brown sugar
-the all-american with burnt orange SMBC or coffee-caramel SMBC is a little more mellow and nuanced, and you can use a little more of those buttercreams if you’re a fan, as they’re not too sweet or intense. 
-The deep chocolate passion is a great crowd pleaser, mellow, springy (it’s a sponge) and perfect for milk chocolate lovers.
-domingo reminds me of the flavor of a brownie, but more tender- the texture of a layer cake.  It’s more mellow, yet very rich.  I liked it best paired it with hazelnut buttercream, perfect if anyone is a fan of hazelnuts or gianduja.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 16 January 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

My vote is for Deep Chocolate Passion—although, I haven’t made all of the others, so perhaps I’m missing out, but it is extremely versatile, easy to prepare, bakes level, and can be served chilled or at room temperature.  To make a decision like this, it’s good if can pinpoint your “cake style”—I’ve come to the conclusion that I like Chiffon style cakes and while I like butter cakes for flavour, they always come across as a bit dry to me.

Posted: 16 January 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2012-01-12

Is the question referring to the recipes here (only) ?  or can we consider other recipes from somewhere else ?  I just want to make sure b4 I give my answer..  thank U

Posted: 16 January 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you, Jose for asking the question.  I am very interested in hearing other responses…. I do need to give a fair test to all of the cakes.  Although, I have only baked a couple of the chocolate… I really like the Deep Choc Passion.  My real favorite chocolate cake is not Rose’s.  For that reason, I really want to find a Rose recipe that I like as much.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 16 January 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

i love the chocolate butter cake. And the german chocolate cake is a great one when u dont have any butter on hand. so soft and moist ! and as for chocolate pound cakes. I tested rose s chocolate pound against tish boyle sour cream chocolate pound cake. both were very good but i somehow preferred the texture and chocolatiness( ?? ) of Tish’s. I think it has something to do with the sour cream .

Posted: 16 January 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

Thank you for your responses.
@prettycake: Not only the recipes I listed, but any recipe. Although if you could choose your favorite among Rose’s recipes that would be most helpful because some people here (me) are only familiar with Rose’s recipes.

Posted: 16 January 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

@Sherrie:
My style is: the moister the cake the better!
So I guess you mean the Deep chocolate Passion is really moist? I made it once but I messed up the syrup and it did not penetrate well, so it was not moist. It basically became hard on the surface like a coating without going any deeper. I need to make it again.
But I’m looking for a cake for my chocoholic friends. A death by chocolate sort of thing.

But the Oblivion is not really a cake, it is more like eating a soft and creamy chocolate bar, I suspect.

Posted: 16 January 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

A death by chocolate sort of thing.

But the Oblivion is not really a cake, it is more like eating a soft and creamy chocolate bar, I suspect.

But it’s definitely the choice I would make for a death by chocolate experience!  smile  If you do try it, try to make the water bath about 150F and bake the center to 150F.  Mine always take a little longer than the recipe says, I think it must be my water bath arrangments.

Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Jose, I find the cake does not seem dry—even without syrup.  When I eat a butter cake—I find I always want some milk with it.  It’s not wet like a syruped cake—but it’s soft and with the syrup it is moist.  It is light and airy, so definitely not a dense cake.  BUT..if you are looking for absolute decadence, I have to agree with Julie and the Oblivion is fabulous.  When I think of death by chocolate, I don’t really think of cake, though.  I would agree that a truffle/ganache/dense cake is the way to go.

Posted: 16 January 2012 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

Sherrie: It was not dry, I think the cake came out well, but I basically ate it without any syrup, which would have made it a lot moister.

But the cake should not be so rich that the slices ought to be tiny. I want it to be decadent but not so much that after a thin slice I’m done. I once made a chocolate ganache tart (not Rose’s), and found it so extremely rich that I had to throw the entire tart into the garbage can. I like BIG slices of cake, and I’m afraid you can’t do that with the Oblivion.

Posted: 17 January 2012 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

If you want to be able to serve a large slice, I’d go with the deep chocolate passion, the components from the wedding cake version- milk chocolate syrup, dark ganache, etc.  It’s dark and chocolately without being so rich, so a larger slice will still be palatable.

Whatever your choose, please consider posting pics when you’re done, we’d all love to see it! smile

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
Jose Lugo - 17 January 2012 12:41 AM

I want it to be decadent but not so much that after a thin slice I?m done.

To me, that’s a contradiction, because I think the term “decadent” implies “rich”.  That’s why I’m not that fond of these dense ganache frostings….they seem to overpower the cake and kill my appetite very quickly.  I think a whipped ganache is a better frosting when you actually want to enjoy the cake part, too, or else some totally different flavor.

I think that almost by definition, if you want an experience to last for a long time, it needs to be less intense.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 17 January 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20
CharlesT - 17 January 2012 02:22 PM
Jose Lugo - 17 January 2012 12:41 AM

I want it to be decadent but not so much that after a thin slice I?m done.

To me, that’s a contradiction, because I think the term “decadent” implies “rich”.

It may be a paradox, but not quite a contradiction. When you have a cake like that (I did in a restaurant) you will know what I mean: addictive and rich and yet not cloying.

That’s why I’m not that fond of these dense ganache frostings….they seem to overpower the cake and kill my appetite very quickly.  I think a whipped ganache is a better frosting when you actually want to enjoy the cake part, too, or else some totally different flavor.

I’m thinking that the best combo maybe what Julie suggested (the Deep Chocolate Passion as composed in the wedding cake section) but making the ganache that goes with it whipped-style as you say.

Posted: 17 January 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
Jose Lugo - 17 January 2012 03:07 PM

I’m thinking that the best combo maybe what Julie suggested (the Deep Chocolate Passion as composed in the wedding cake section) but making the ganache that goes with it whipped-style as you say.

I think it would be interesting to make this cake with brown sugar; I have that on my agenda to try.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

1 of 2

‹‹ Star Wars Cake      Bread Proofing ››