2 of 2
BEST Chocolate Cake?
Posted: 17 January 2012 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-12-23

I love cakes with chocolate in them but I’m not really a fan of pure chocolate cakes that are really rich and fudgy.  I always prefer it if they’re mixed with fruits like strawberries, raspberries, etc. and topped with a non-chocolate icing which always help cut down the richness of the cake.  Among Rose’s chocolate cake recipes, the Chocolate Feather Bed and Chocolate Raspberry Genoise appeals to me the most.

Signature 

http://thekitchenismyshrink.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 January 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-05-16

The only chocolate cake I have tried in RHC so far is the Chocolate Banana Stud.  I would like to include this in the choices for BEST choc cakes - I chose it for its simplicity, moistness and the fact that it was gobbled up instantly. Though I didn’t choose to stud it with chocolate chips, melted white chocolate balanced the bitter sweetness of the dark ganache.  So for these reasons, I nominate the Chocolate Banana Stud cake.

Posted: 18 January 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

FWIW, when I made my sister-in-law’s wedding cake I did a trial with the Deep Chocolate Passion with Raspberry Ganache and light whipped ganache and everyone found the light whipped ganache too strong—I have no idea why.  But I had to agree. I believe I used the same chocolate in each ganache so it’s an interesting paradox.  I think it would be wonderful with the ganache.  I generally trust Rose’s recommendations.

I’ve made this cake with countless combinations, and all have been great.  The only pairing that I thought was off was the Chocolate Praline Silk Meringue Buttercream—incredibly delicious on it’s own, but it did not pair as well with the cake as I would have liked.  The frosting was “lost” so to speak with the cake.  Still trying to find a good partner for that frosting. 

@Charles:  I would love to know how that works!  Sort of like the Chocolate Fudge Cake but chiffon style!

Posted: 18 January 2012 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I also forgot the Triple Chocolate Cake from TCB—it never fails to impress and you can eat a good sized slice.  Lots of work, though.  I made one for a Christmas gathering I was too sick to attend—but great reviews from family!  It’s moist chocolate genoise, Frangelico syrup, light whipped ganache, enrobed with chocolate praline sheets.

Posted: 18 January 2012 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Agree that the triple chocolate cake, or the similar chocolate feather bed (RHC) would be another great choice for a chocolate cake that wouldn’t be too rich to each a good sized slice.

re: chocolate praline silk meringue- glorious stuff, but I wonder if the best pairing might be something like the golden genoise, bull’s eye genoise, or else a dobos-torte-type concoction from a yellow sponge cake. smile  Both are on my to-do list, but since starting back to work there has been very, very little time to bake non-work related projects, sigh.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 19 January 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2009-10-01

Work-related baking? I wish!

2 of 2

‹‹ Star Wars Cake      Bread Proofing ››