2 of 5
Baking With Oil Instead Of Butter
Posted: 18 January 2012 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

Woo-Hoo!! Things are looking up! I once made a Chiffon and we love it! Thank you very much!!

Posted: 18 January 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I do also like the Chocolate Angel food cake—it’s a favourite!  Of course, if you are going for layer cakes it could be a bit trickier.  I just made the Lemon Chiffon (used recipe from TCB but adapted as per the directions in RHC) for a layer cake and it turned out ok—haven’t eaten yet, but it didn’t fall miserably, anyway smile 

I have been doing a bit of reading in Bo Friberg’s pastry book and I noticed he has some other Chiffons that are baked in layer pans, with no indication of special treatments!  It’s too bad I didn’t have the book before I tried Rose’s recipe!  I would be curious to see how they turn out in comparison.

Posted: 18 January 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Sherrie. I recently bought Chef Bo’s book. I will definitely check out his recipes as well.  I want to try the Angel Food cake too. I never made one. Before Rose’s cakes entered our life, Angel Cake was my husband’s favorite.

Posted: 18 January 2012 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

In the event this is useful for anyone else baking for dietary restrictions:

I’m amidst building a birthday cake for my daughter’s 1st birthday.  I don’t know what she can eat as she had many solids yet.  SO:  I think she’s ok with egg yolk.  Not sure about dairy (allergies in the family)—so….Lemon Chiffon cake (no dairy—cooked eggs, hopefully ok! she had waffles last week).  She loves blueberries, so I’m making a shortening based lemon curd (heresy I know!!) and putting blueberries in the curd as an accent.  Then I will either coat with apricot jam and use marshmallow fondant to cover (assuming I will peel it off for her).  OR…I may have to use shortening based icing to crumb coat if I have too many uneven patches that won’t be fixed with the jam.  This cake is so very unlike what I usually bake, I feel as though I should have bought one from the grocery store!!!  Dietary restrictions can be a challenge!!!

Posted: 18 January 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

It’s great we have this forum to help each other when we are confronted with dietary challenges.  It’s great that we can collectively circumvent the issue with exciting options.  I, for one, really appreciate the help I received today.

Sherrie, your choices sound great. I’d love to see the cake when it is finished. And, Happy 1st Birthday to your daughter!

Posted: 18 January 2012 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27

If oil doesn’t perform like butter, the problem is probably because it’s not solid like butter.  A better substitute might be Crisco’s baking sticks, which are shaped into butter-sized sticks. I bet these would work in Rose’s recipes.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 18 January 2012 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Charles is right, of course… but… just can’t bring myself to do shortening, maybe I’ve got an unreasonable mental block there.  I noticed in the health food store today that specturm now sells a butter flavored shortening, along side their organic plain shortening, might be worth checking out.

re: chiffon, I’m stockpiling the flavorful oil that separates from nut butters (mostly toasted almond butter) in my freezer, and my birthday is coming up next month.  Don’t know what’s gotten into me, birthdays for me are usually all about genoise, but I’m thinking of doing a chiffon with all that tasty nut oil.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 18 January 2012 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 19 January 2012 01:57 AM

If oil doesn’t perform like butter, the problem is probably because it’s not solid like butter.  A better substitute might be Crisco’s baking sticks, which are shaped into butter-sized sticks. I bet these would work in Rose’s recipes.

Thank you Charles.

Shortening doesn’t have cholesterol but it does have saturated fat, something my friend was told to avoid.

But, the spreads such as Benecol do not have saturated fat. Can that be used for baking?

I always use Spectrum shortening to grease baking pans. I was thinking that now I would have to use Baker’s Joy instead.

Posted: 18 January 2012 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 19 January 2012 02:19 AM

Charles is right, of course… but… just can’t bring myself to do shortening, maybe I’ve got an unreasonable mental block there.  I noticed in the health food store today that specturm now sells a butter flavored shortening, along side their organic plain shortening, might be worth checking out.

re: chiffon, I’m stockpiling the flavorful oil that separates from nut butters (mostly toasted almond butter) in my freezer, and my birthday is coming up next month.  Don’t know what’s gotten into me, birthdays for me are usually all about genoise, but I’m thinking of doing a chiffon with all that tasty nut oil.  smile

That is a great idea Julie. Do you think that oil is cholesterol free? I need to look into that.

Posted: 18 January 2012 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 19 January 2012 02:50 AM

But, the spreads such as Benecol do not have saturated fat. Can that be used for baking?

People report mixed success with the various spreads.  It probably contains some quantity of water and whipped air.  You might try weighing a portion then boiling off any water to see how much is left.  You can then get an idea of how much water is mixed in.  The air shouldn’t cause a problem as long as you measure by weight.  Once you determine the percent water, we can come up with a formula for converting butter quantities to Benecol.  It would be an interesting experiment.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 January 2012 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Okay, I will try that. How should I boil off the water?

Posted: 19 January 2012 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 19 January 2012 05:31 AM

I’d do it like you’re trying to clarify butter.  Weigh the stuff first, then plop it into a pan on medium heat and leave it there while it melts and comes to a simmer.  After a while, the simmering sound will go away as the water boils off and you’re left with just hot oil.  Then pour the oil into a measuring cup and weigh it (having tared the cup, of course.)  The difference in weight before and after should be the water weight.  The larger the sample, the less error we’ll see, since some of the oil will adhere to the sides of the pan and measuring cup.  I’m sure you can reuse the oil for some other purpose, so it won’t be completely wasted.  (Alternatively, you can just weigh the pan before boiling and after…that way, the oil coating the interior of the pan won’t cause any error.)

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 January 2012 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 18 January 2012 10:03 PM

Flour Girl, defintely explore the world of chiffon cakes! 

They are generally made with oil and more egg whites than yolks, perfect for your needs.  They are delicious, too, and won’t need any alterations and tests the way substitutions would.  There are tube pan versions in the Cake Bible, mocha or orange baby cakes in RHC, and an orange or lemon layer cake in RHC.  Lastly, the deep chocolate passion is a chiffon, and you could make Rose’s almond milk ganache from the blog for a cholesterol-free frosting.

Julie, can I use all egg whites in place of the whole egg in Chiffons?

Posted: 19 January 2012 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 19 January 2012 05:42 AM
Flour Girl - 19 January 2012 05:31 AM

I’d do it like you’re trying to clarify butter.  Weigh the stuff first, then plop it into a pan on medium heat and leave it there while it melts and comes to a simmer.  After a while, the simmering sound will go away as the water boils off and you’re left with just hot oil.  Then pour the oil into a measuring cup and weigh it (having tared the cup, of course.)  The difference in weight before and after should be the water weight.  The larger the sample, the less error we’ll see, since some of the oil will adhere to the sides of the pan and measuring cup.  I’m sure you can reuse the oil for some other purpose, so it won’t be completely wasted.  (Alternatively, you can just weigh the pan before boiling and after…that way, the oil coating the interior of the pan won’t cause any error.)

That sounds easy, thank you! I will post the results. Your help is very appreciated. I am very upset about this situation. Baking Rose’s cakes has become a big part of what I do.

Posted: 19 January 2012 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 19 January 2012 06:13 AM

Baking Rose’s cakes has become a big part of what I do.

There is no greater cause to which you could dedicate your life!

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

2 of 5