3 of 5
Baking With Oil Instead Of Butter
Posted: 19 January 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
Flour Girl - 19 January 2012 06:07 AM

Julie, can I use all egg whites in place of the whole egg in Chiffons?

I’ve never tried this, as I normally miss yolks in a recipe.  If you try it, please let us know how it turns out!  And there’s always angel food cake smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 January 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2009-05-25

FYI, Joanne Chang has a vegan chocolate cake in her book Flour that’s decent.  I think it’s for a 6” pan, but works for cupcakes too.

Posted: 19 January 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 19 January 2012 02:06 PM
Flour Girl - 19 January 2012 06:07 AM

Julie, can I use all egg whites in place of the whole egg in Chiffons?

I’ve never tried this, as I normally miss yolks in a recipe.  If you try it, please let us know how it turns out!  And there’s always angel food cake smile

I will let you know. Angel cake is good, we like it.

I will definitely let you know the results of my experiments.  This could be fun.

Posted: 19 January 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sherrie - 19 January 2012 03:51 PM

FYI, Joanne Chang has a vegan chocolate cake in her book Flour that’s decent.  I think it’s for a 6” pan, but works for cupcakes too.

I have her book and I have 6 inch pans. I’ll check it out, thank you.

I also have Extraordinary Cakes which has a vegan recipe. It uses Earth Balance in place of butter.

On egg substitutes, I checked Chef Bo’s book and he feels egg substitutes work fine. I checked into his Chiffons and he uses egg yolks. I have to look into whether the egg substitutes will be a favorable replacement.

All-Recipes has a conversion chart and allows i cup of butter to be substituted with 7/8 cup oil.

My hope is that I can convert Rose’s recipes successfully using alternative ingredients. I hope.

Posted: 21 January 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sherrie - 19 January 2012 03:51 PM

Hi Sherrie, Thank you for your recommendation.  I made Joanne’s recipe.  My cake was good but over-baked.  I checked at it’s lowest temp recommendation. The top appeared baked but the inside was gooey. I baked it an additional 5 minutes only to find the top of the cake had cracked and mounded.  I was using Rose’s Cake Strip. For some reason, I always have timing issues with the recipes in Flour. Next time I bake this, I think a 6 cup tube pan might be good to try.

So, I split the cake and layered it to try to disguise the over-baked cake.

I made the Vegan Chocolate Frosting from Extraordinary Cakes using Benacol for the fat.  It was delicious.

The whole cake tasted very good and there was not 1 gram of cholesterol or saturated fat in it.

Thank you very much!

Image Attachments
IMG_5540.jpgIMG_5539.jpg

Posted: 21 January 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 19 January 2012 02:59 AM
Flour Girl - 19 January 2012 02:50 AM

But, the spreads such as Benecol do not have saturated fat. Can that be used for baking?

People report mixed success with the various spreads.  It probably contains some quantity of water and whipped air.  You might try weighing a portion then boiling off any water to see how much is left.  You can then get an idea of how much water is mixed in.  The air shouldn’t cause a problem as long as you measure by weight.  Once you determine the percent water, we can come up with a formula for converting butter quantities to Benecol.  It would be an interesting experiment.

Hi Charles. I found the weight difference to be 4g.  I used 113g of Benacol.  I believe that is very similar to butter.

Posted: 21 January 2012 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1358
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 21 January 2012 09:08 PM

I found the weight difference to be 4g.  I used 113g of Benacol.  I believe that is very similar to butter.

Hmmmm, that sounds really low, much lower than butter.  When looking at the ingredient label, water is number two after Canola oil, which means there’s a lot of it. 

The data doesn’t jibe.  A tablespoon of Benecol has 70 calories, but butter has about 103, which suggests a lot more water (or non-fatty stuff) in the Benecol.  The light version of Benecol is over 50% water, but I can’t find that data for the regular spread.  The calorie information suggests about a 43% water content; taking into account the other stuff in the spread, I’m guessing the water content must be almost 40%, at least double that of butter.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 21 January 2012 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I didn’t get those results at all. Perhaps I should have boiled it longer???

Posted: 21 January 2012 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 21 January 2012 09:45 PM
Flour Girl - 21 January 2012 09:08 PM

I found the weight difference to be 4g.  I used 113g of Benacol.  I believe that is very similar to butter.

The light version of Benecol is over 50% water, but I can’t find that data for the regular spread.

I have both versions in the house. The light is not recommended for baking.

Posted: 22 January 2012 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 19 January 2012 01:33 PM
Flour Girl - 19 January 2012 06:13 AM

Baking Rose’s cakes has become a big part of what I do.

There is no greater cause to which you could dedicate your life!

That’s right! I am making a lot of people happy wink

Posted: 22 January 2012 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1358
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 22 January 2012 12:15 AM

You would need to boil it until it stops boiling.  Oil doesn’t boil.  (At least, it would catch on fire before it did.) 

I’m pretty sure, though, the spread contains less fat and more water than butter.  To get the same fat content in your baked goods, you’d have to use about 1/3 extra.  But that would introduce more water into the recipe and I’m not sure what effect that would have.  If that water were available during mixing, you might could reduce some other liquid, but with the water suspended in an emulsion in the whipped spread, it may not be available during the mixing phase and may only leak out when the fat melts in the oven.  I’m speculating, of course, but I know that when I use softened butter instead of melted butter in my dinner roll recipe, I have to add more water, which suggests that the water inside the emulsion isn’t available.

But try it and see!

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 January 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Maybe just call the company and ask how best to use the product in baking cakes?

Posted: 22 January 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I did some research and Earth Balance seems to be the favored non-oil replacement for butter in baking. Earth Balance suggests you substitute the same amount of Earth Balance for butter. I will probably go that route in place of Benacol for baking. I haven’t been to the store yet, and I want to read the package of earth Balance first, but it seems to have great reviews for taste and texture in baking.

Posted: 22 January 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 22 January 2012 07:21 AM
Flour Girl - 22 January 2012 12:15 AM

You would need to boil it until it stops boiling.  Oil doesn’t boil.  (At least, it would catch on fire before it did.) 

I’m pretty sure, though, the spread contains less fat and more water than butter.  To get the same fat content in your baked goods, you’d have to use about 1/3 extra.  But that would introduce more water into the recipe and I’m not sure what effect that would have.  If that water were available during mixing, you might could reduce some other liquid, but with the water suspended in an emulsion in the whipped spread, it may not be available during the mixing phase and may only leak out when the fat melts in the oven.  I’m speculating, of course, but I know that when I use softened butter instead of melted butter in my dinner roll recipe, I have to add more water, which suggests that the water inside the emulsion isn’t available.

But try it and see!

I will, Charles. I am curious to know.

I will also call the company on Monday to see what they say about it as they provide a cake recipe with the product.

Posted: 22 January 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

i also did some research on replacing butter with oil in regular recipes.

All-Recipes has a chart which claims butter can be substituted with 7/8 oil.

Do you think that would work with Rose’s recipes?

3 of 5