5 of 5
Baking With Oil Instead Of Butter
Posted: 22 January 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

La Tourangelle?!! Awesome! My supermarket carries that brand. I have their Walnut Oil. I am sure the manager would be able to order it for me. Thank you, Anne!!!

Posted: 22 January 2012 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

My pleasure!  It’s good stuff, isn’t it?

Posted: 22 January 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

It’s excellent! I’m glad to know I can get it now! Thank you!!

Posted: 22 January 2012 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Wow!  Lot’s of great discussion here since I last checked in.  I should have mentioned that many have found times in Flour to be a bit off.  I think I’ve made the Vegan cake both as cupcakes (need alternate time) and 6” and I didn’t record any issues.  There are errata on the Flour website and I’ve contacted and received replies from Joanne directly regarding some scaling for one of her cakes.  The cake looks great, btw and the frosting is luscious.

Posted: 23 January 2012 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thank you Sherrie. The cake was really good, very fudgy. I should have taken it out 5 minutes sooner. The frosting was really good too. It consists of Benacol (the original recipe called for Earth Balance, which I am sure, must be better), confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, soy milk and vanilla whipped in a stand mixer.

Because the cake was over-baked, it was hard to cut into layers so I put sliced walnuts on the side to hide the uneven slices. 

But, it is really flavorful and has not a spec of fat. 

Thank you for suggesting the recipe to me.

I will check out Joanne’s site for the corrections.

Posted: 16 May 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-05-13

If chocolate has saturated fat in it, for someone even with high cholesterol, it’s definitely not a good choice even though it’s not from an animal source. Same thing goes for any of the palm/coconut oils. Sure, they don’t have cholesterol in them, but that these are LOADED with SAT FATs.

I have a friend who is a nurse that teaches nutrition and diabetic classes. She says that the guideline for SAT FAT per day for a person is 3 grams and for those that have serious issues where they need to improve their health by reducing cholesterol and SAT FAT, SAT FAT grams should be no more than 1.5 grams per day.

Posted: 20 May 2012 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-05-13

I found a link listing the ingredients on the Earth Balance shortening which contains all the palm & kernal oils and has SAT FATs in it.  http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Shortening/Earth-Balance-Shortening-15-oz/60582 Thought you might be interested in checking it out. Hope this helps. I love to bake as well and really need to watch what I eat too.

5 of 5